× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to rename PTV3000

larryjb
Aspirant

How to rename PTV3000

I'm trying to rename my PTV3000 adapter.  I have access to both Win7 and Win10 laptops.  I've searched online without success.  The User Manual has some steps but they seem to be outdated.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

Model: PTV3000|Push2TV Live|EOL
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
larryjb
Aspirant

Re: How to rename PTV3000

Hi Michael,

To answer your questions: 1) The laptop is connecting wirelessly; 2) the SSID is Push2TV; 3) the adapter name is Push2TV 5279FE.  Also, yes, I had retrieved the manual.  It turns out that the problem I was having is that I was using my Win10 laptop to try to change the adapter name.  The laptop had Miracast installed but not Intel's WiDi, which Intel stopped supporting in 2016.  The PTV3000 User Manual was written assuming that WiDi software was installed.  I went to my older Win7 laptop that did have WiDi installed and was able to change my adapter's name using the steps on page 33 of the User Manual to "Update the Software."  Even though I did not need to update my PTV3000 software, the steps gave me access to a Settings page that did enable me to change the adapter's name.

Thanks again for hanging in there with me.

Best,

Larry

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

Not sure that I follow what you mean by "rename". Take us back to the issue you are trying to fix rather than your thinking on how you need to fix it. Rename why?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

and feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Home WiFi Adapters and Powerline. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Wireless Display Adapter - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 6
larryjb
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your prompt reply.  My PTV3000 currently shows up on my laptop as "Push2TV 5279FE."  I would like to change it to "Audio Room." 

Also, thanks for your tip about posting in a different section, namely, "Wireless Display Adapter - NETGEAR Communities."  You were right about Netgear's "impenetrable community structure."  I was misled into selecting "Home WiFi Adapters and Powerline."  If I don't get a satisfactory answer in this section, I'll re-post in the Wireless Display Adapter section.  By the way, when I just tried your link (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Wireless-Display-Adapter/bd-p/home-wireless-display-adapters), the page that appeared said "Access Denied."  Any suggestions about how to get around that?  Thanks again.

Best regards,

Larry

Message 3 of 6

@larryjb wrote:

Thanks for your prompt reply.  My PTV3000 currently shows up on my laptop as "Push2TV 5279FE."  I would like to change it to "Audio Room." 

How is the laptop connecting?

Is that a wifi SSID? A network (wired LAN) device?

Did you retrieve the manual?

PTV3000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

There is also a link there to a utility of some sort. Have you played with that?

@larryjb wrote:

By the way, when I just tried your link (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Wireless-Display-Adapter/bd-p/home-wireless-display-adapters), the page that appeared said "Access Denied."  Any suggestions about how to get around that?  Thanks again.

It works here.

It looks like this is an old product that Netgear no longer makes. So support will be limited.

Message 4 of 6
larryjb
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

To answer your questions: 1) The laptop is connecting wirelessly; 2) the SSID is Push2TV; 3) the adapter name is Push2TV 5279FE.  Also, yes, I had retrieved the manual.  It turns out that the problem I was having is that I was using my Win10 laptop to try to change the adapter name.  The laptop had Miracast installed but not Intel's WiDi, which Intel stopped supporting in 2016.  The PTV3000 User Manual was written assuming that WiDi software was installed.  I went to my older Win7 laptop that did have WiDi installed and was able to change my adapter's name using the steps on page 33 of the User Manual to "Update the Software."  Even though I did not need to update my PTV3000 software, the steps gave me access to a Settings page that did enable me to change the adapter's name.

Thanks again for hanging in there with me.

Best,

Larry

Message 5 of 6

@larryjb wrote:

It turns out that the problem I was having is that I was using my Win10 laptop to try to change the adapter name. 

Ah, the dreaded "death by Windows 10" syndrome. Lots of stuff gets stranded by that, especially kit that the maker consider EOL, even though it works just fine for many people. (Wanna buy an Olympus footswitch?)

I fear that the user base for the PTV3000 is tiny, with no one active here who understand it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7