× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter Keeps Disconnecting

Digz
Initiate

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter Keeps Disconnecting

I've tried literally everything for this $80 wifi adapter that I bought. It has very fast wifi speed but it just has one problem.. it disconnects every 5 minutes. Perhaps even less than 5 minutes most times. I just can't take it anymore and I cannot take it back to the store, as it is well past the return date. If you have one of these do you know what to do to fix it? I read a youtube comment about someone using a generic microsoft driver but after trying for several hours I could not find the one he was talking about. And every one that I tried failed to work after installation.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Digz
Initiate

I figured out what the problem was. It's the cord. I just plugged it in directly to my computer and haven't had the problem in almost a week. Thanks for the reply!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies

Any chance that it is a setting somewhere in Windows?

Look at the adapter's properties in Windows and check that it isn't set to allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Wifi power savingWifi power saving

Message 2 of 6
Digz
Initiate

I figured out what the problem was. It's the cord. I just plugged it in directly to my computer and haven't had the problem in almost a week. Thanks for the reply!

Message 3 of 6

@Digz wrote:

I figured out what the problem was. It's the cord.

That's good.

It is amazing that something as simple as a USB cord can be so picky. I have several that simply don't work as expected. Cheap crap, I suspect.

Message 4 of 6
garbsize
Aspirant

I had the same issue with the A7000 continually disconnecting every few minutes. I unclicked the power saver function in the adapter properties area and it appears to have fixed the issue. Thanks for the help!

Message 5 of 6
Ferrit1981
Tutor

Hello there.

Was this problem to do with the orginal cable and dock for the adaptor that came with it?

and did you plug the adaptor straight into your pc or purchase a compatible usb cable?

Its just I have some sort of trouble like this and want to eliminate all areas.

Kind Regards,

Ferrit1981

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series