× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear a7000 wrong region

felixcasa
Follower

Netgear a7000 wrong region

Hi!

So this problem has been driving me mad!

My ISP prevents me from choosing which 5ghz channel to use. Its all automated, the router basically "scans" and picks a channel based on performance. Here, it always defaults to channel 157.

The problem is that the netgear a7000 that I purchased (best buy canada) can't see that channel. In the "netgear genie" program, I see the region as EUROPE. From what I can tell, channel 157 is prohibited in europe ? Meaning that I can't even see my wifi network.

Is there a way to change the region? I've been banging my head against a wall trying to speak to tech support from my ISP, and there is nothing they can do to help.

Any help or idea would be very appreciated.

Message 1 of 2

Re: Netgear a7000 wrong region

@felixcasa wrote:

The problem is that the netgear a7000 that I purchased (best buy canada) can't see that channel. In the "netgear genie" program, I see the region as EUROPE. From what I can tell, channel 157 is prohibited in europe ? Meaning that I can't even see my wifi network.

If you visit the right section for your USB adapter:

WiFi Adapters - NETGEAR Communities

you will see that you are not alone.

A7000 with the wrong region - NETGEAR Communities

In essence, if you have the same symptoms described there the adapter is not from the "wrong region". You just have a wonky ISP that wants to force the router it provides – nothing to do with the adapter – to use a WiFi channel that isn't actually widely used.

There's a good chance that any other adapter you buy will show the same symptoms.

If you have the same ISP as @jfrancoisricard then you should join forces and shout at it loudly to stop messing you around.

Here's something to read all about WiFi channels.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7