× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk A7000 wireless adapter & Genie/ Nighthawk app

TEXASCITIZEN
Aspirant

Nighthawk A7000 wireless adapter & Genie/ Nighthawk app

**The issue is Downloading Nighthawk Genie or its successor for PC.  I have a Nighthawk wireless adapter (A7000) which I have been using for 2-3 years with Win 10 on my desktop.  I bought a new Dell computer with Win 11.  The Dell transfer program that moved my items from the old to new computer did not move a good copy of the Nighthawk Genie.  I used my original CD to install Nighthawk on my new PC but it did not download a copy of Genie.

I can't find a Genie download & the internet says that Genie is no longer used & Nighthawk app is the new program.  When I try to download Nighthawk app I get referred to the Apple or Google store which is for IOS or Android devices but I have a PC running Win 11.  (At the Apple store they ask if the download is for an iPad or iPhone & with Google, since I don't have an Android device, it says I have no supported device.)   I have found a Nighthawk app for PC but the download comes in RAR form which my computer can't understand.  I downloaded a zip program from the store which said it worked with RAR, I think it was 7zip (?), but in the end when I clicked on the download nothing happened to open the download.

How can I get a working copy of Genie or a copy of the Nighthawk app which will work on a PC without to many complications.  This whole situation is getting frustrating.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk A7000 wireless adapter & Genie/ Nighthawk app

download the file from netgear from here: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/A7000.aspx

then extract it. If its windows, just right click on the file and use windows by right clicking on it and going to extract all. 

From there install the stand alone driver. You don't need the built in netgear utilities. let windows handle it

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk A7000 wireless adapter & Genie/ Nighthawk app

download the file from netgear from here: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/A7000.aspx

then extract it. If its windows, just right click on the file and use windows by right clicking on it and going to extract all. 

From there install the stand alone driver. You don't need the built in netgear utilities. let windows handle it

Message 2 of 3
TEXASCITIZEN
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk A7000 wireless adapter & Genie/ Nighthawk app not working--Solved.

Plemans--thanks for responding.  Just a few minutes ago I had stumbled into a similar solution to yours when, while looking though my new PC I found the original download for the Genie.  (My original installation Nighthawk disk had stopped reading--when I would put it in the reader the light would flash 3 times & then go dead but I could watch movies off a CD so the reader was good.)   

The download had an autorun line.  When I clicked on autorun it asked for a disk; I put the original disk in & it started to read.  Within a few minutes I had the original Genie icon back on the desktop & it works.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7