× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to update AC1200 USB Adapter Software

DannyS22
Guide

Unable to update AC1200 USB Adapter Software

Just installed the AC1200 USB WiFi adapter and when trying to check for software dates thru the Netgear Genie  I get the following message

DannyS22_0-1658841470444.png

The software was what was on the disk with the adapter.

Thanks for the help.

Danny

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Unable to update AC1200 USB Adapter Software

A6210 that was - current downloads https://www.netgear.com/support/product/A6210.aspx#download

https://kb.netgear.com/000058840/A6210-Software-Version-1-0-0-39 contains two different kits

1. If you want to install the adapter drivers including the NETGEAR utility (genie), run A6210_V1.0.0.39.exe and follow the on-screen install instructions.
  2. If you want to install just the adapter drivers without the NETGEAR utility, run A6210-Standalone_V1.0.0.39.exe and follow the on-screen install instructions. 

To avoid issues on decent Windows systems, it's stronlgy suggested not to install the utility crap and strictly stick with the standalone driver install, and use Windows 10/11 for the adpater config.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies

@DannyS22 wrote:

Just installed the AC1200 USB WiFi adapter and when trying to check for software dates thru the Netgear Genie  I get the following message

Which USB adapter is that? AC1200 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number. A6210? A6150?

You have done well to find the Netgear genie. Netgear effectively abandoned it some time ago. If it is the version in a CD it is almost certainly well out of date. Netgear hasn't provided CDs for quite some time.

Find the latest (last?) version here:

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

When it comes to updating drivers and stuff, the genie may not be the best way of doing it.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Finally, you might like to investigate the use of Alt + Print Screen in Windows. It gets screen grabs of the top window without throwing in extraneous details that might contain sensitive stuff. The results are also easier to read.

Message 2 of 7
DannyS22
Guide

Sorry, it is a A6210 usb adapter.

Thanks for the reply. Hope this clarifies my type/

Danny

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

A6210 that was - current downloads https://www.netgear.com/support/product/A6210.aspx#download

https://kb.netgear.com/000058840/A6210-Software-Version-1-0-0-39 contains two different kits

1. If you want to install the adapter drivers including the NETGEAR utility (genie), run A6210_V1.0.0.39.exe and follow the on-screen install instructions.
  2. If you want to install just the adapter drivers without the NETGEAR utility, run A6210-Standalone_V1.0.0.39.exe and follow the on-screen install instructions. 

To avoid issues on decent Windows systems, it's stronlgy suggested not to install the utility crap and strictly stick with the standalone driver install, and use Windows 10/11 for the adpater config.

Message 4 of 7
DannyS22
Guide

The "Genie" software version is 1.0.0.39 and I had followed the install instructions by installing the software before attaching the adapter. I did not install any other software. Since 1.0.0.39 seems to be the latest, I guess it's up to date.

Thanks for the help.

Danny

Message 5 of 7

@DannyS22 wrote:

Since 1.0.0.39 seems to be the latest, I guess it's up to date.

The desktop genie for Windows behind the link I posted is 2.4.64 ©2020.

I wouldn't use any sort of genie to check for updates. It is unreliable.  As @schumaku says, do that on the support pages for your device.

This shows that you do, indeed, have the latest:

A6210 Software Version 1.0.0.39 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 7
DannyS22
Guide

I checked the driver version from device manager and it shows driver version 5.1.35.0, which if I read the above is the latest.

Thanks for the help and support.

Danny

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7