× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDA3100v2 works intermittently with windows 10

CAPRDN
Aspirant

WNDA3100v2 works intermittently with windows 10

My N600 Wireless USB adapter, which has worked great for a couple of years on Windows 8.1, keeps turning off after the upgrade this week to Windows 10.

I downloaded the latest version of drivers from Netgear WNDA3100v2-V2.2.0.5 and installed WNDA3100_SW_V2.2.0.6_Setup_STALONE

It works for a few minutes and then cuts out. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 36

Accepted Solutions
CAPRDN
Aspirant

Re: WNDA3100v2 works intermittently with windows 10

@KMccart wrote:

I am having the same problem with mine as well. The driver version it says I am using is 5.100.68.29 from the date 10/13/2010 even though I redownloaded the device driver utility today and ran it. Under the "events" tab of the device information it also has a message saying it requires further installation. It shows that a device install was requested today but I am guessing it didn't properly update?

I finally gave up on trying to get the Netgear to stop dropping the connection. Everything I read on the web said to wait for better drivers and in the meantime convert back to Windows 8.1. 

Before I did that I went to Staples and bought the Linksys AC1200. They said I had 14 days to test it and return it if necessary. Well it has been a few hours and no dropped connection! Perhaps it is the AC protocol vs. the older one with the Netgear and how it communicates with my Apple router. Not sure but so far so good! I will update this post if/when the connection drops but for now my fingers are crossed! If it works it is worth the extra bucks for a new adapter.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 36

All Replies
CAPRDN
Aspirant

"I downloaded the latest version of drivers from Netgear WNDA3100v2-V2.2.0.5 and installed WNDA3100_SW_V2.2.0.6_Setup_STALONE"

I just checked to see which driver is actually being used. It is a Netgear driver dated 3/2/2015. It is driver version 5.100.148.6

If anyone is using the N600 Wireless Adapter and it is working with Windows 10, let me know if your driver version is different from what I am using.  Thanks.

Message 2 of 36
KMccart
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with mine as well. The driver version it says I am using is 5.100.68.29 from the date 10/13/2010 even though I redownloaded the device driver utility today and ran it. Under the "events" tab of the device information it also has a message saying it requires further installation. It shows that a device install was requested today but I am guessing it didn't properly update?

Message 3 of 36
CAPRDN
Aspirant

@KMccart wrote:

I finally gave up on trying to get the Netgear to stop dropping the connection. Everything I read on the web said to wait for better drivers and in the meantime convert back to Windows 8.1. 

Before I did that I went to Staples and bought the Linksys AC1200. They said I had 14 days to test it and return it if necessary. Well it has been a few hours and no dropped connection! Perhaps it is the AC protocol vs. the older one with the Netgear and how it communicates with my Apple router. Not sure but so far so good! I will update this post if/when the connection drops but for now my fingers are crossed! If it works it is worth the extra bucks for a new adapter.

Message 4 of 36
BaJohn
Virtuoso

I have had similar problems of dropouts etc.

My problem seems to be that it appears fine until I install Zonealarm.

As far as I can see even the latest version of Zonealarm Vers 14.0.508.0 has the same problem.

I do not want to go back to my previous OS (7 ultimate - even though it was brilliant) as I want Win 10 to work.

I suggest that the solution provided is NOT a solution, but a workaround until the proper solution comes along.

What I would like to know is :- Why did Netgear provide a genie product as Vers 2.2.0.5 and a standalone (not Genie) at Vers 2.2.0.6.

You cannot install one after the other (in either order) and not get problems, but the implications is that there is a later driver than that for Vers 2.2.0.5.

All the notes and things I have read have not explained this. Maybe one version is for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 whilst the other is for Winows 10, but it isn't clear.

Message 5 of 36
JamesGL
Master

Hi @BaJohn,

Welcome to Community!

Try to disable first the  Zonealarm since you have mentioned that it was working fine until you have installed the Zonealarm. If it works, you may check if there is an option in Zonealarm to not include the Network adapters.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 6 of 36
aneedham
Aspirant

I'm sorry to say that I am having the same problems.  Just upgraded to Windows 10 last weekend from Windows 7.

My WNDA3100v2 kept randomly losing access to the default gateway or stopping altogether.  I have upgraded the driver to 5.100.148.6 and still no luck.

Going to troubleshoot some more tonight.  I'm wondering whether it has something to do with the USB drivers after doing some further googling.

Message 7 of 36
JamesGL
Master

Hi @aneedham,

Make sure firewall or antivirus is disabled when doing testing. If it works then try to check how to excempt the adapter on your antivirus or firewall.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 8 of 36
aneedham
Aspirant

Thanks for the sugestion @JamesGL tried had tried that initially with no luck.

Message 9 of 36
BaJohn
Virtuoso

I would still like to know why did Netgear provide a genie product as Vers 2.2.0.5 and a standalone (not Genie) at Vers 2.2.0.6.

You cannot install one after the other (in either order) and not get problems, but the implications is that there is a later driver than that for Vers 2.2.0.5.

All the notes and things I have read have not explained this. Maybe one version is for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 whilst the other is for Winows 10, but it isn't clear.

For Windows 10 should we ALL install the Vers 2.2.0.6 the latest?

More info required on the 2 options please?

Message 10 of 36
BaJohn
Virtuoso

If Version 2.2.0.5 is NOT the latest version, with 2.2.0.6 available, why when I have the2.2.0.5 installed do I get the following on check for software update:-

2015/09/07 11:09:51 : Check for software update from Netgear server.
 2015/09/07 11:09:52 : Your software is up-to-date.

i.e. why does it not tell me to upgrade to Version 2.2.0.6?

Message 11 of 36
Bhankhai
Initiate

I think I have solved this, on my machine anyway. I uninstalled all the drivers and reinstalled the Windows 8.1 drivers. I unticked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box on Device Manager/Network Adapter/Power Management.

Hope this helps.

Message 12 of 36
Bhankhai
Initiate

Definitely works. Five hours uptime with constant use and no drops at all.

Message 13 of 36
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Still unsure why there are different versions of the software available.

Obviously no one from Netgear reads these posts.

Made a decision to rebuild my PC from scratch.

Disillusioned.

Message 14 of 36
JamesGL
Master

Hi @BaJohn,

Welcome to Community!

The filenames are different but once installed, they have the same driver version.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 15 of 36
BaJohn
Virtuoso

So there is no point in installing the Vers 2.2.0.6 if you have installed the 2.2.0.5 software?

Message 16 of 36
JamesGL
Master

@BaJohn,

If you wanted to install a driver with the Genie software, you can use 2.2.0.5 but if you wanted to install the driver only then you can install the 2.2.06.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 17 of 36
Culprit
Aspirant

And 2.2.0.5 and 2.2.0.6 both were created on the same day and the same minute!  And the same size?  What's different between them?

And is there a 32bit  and a 64bit version for the drivers???

i couldn't get either one to install without failing.  I let it try to install for more than 24 hrs without success.  Then I aborted the install

and then couldn't un-install it!

Message 18 of 36
Alibkm
Aspirant

Thanks so much Bhankhai, I unticked this box in Device Manager and my device has worked perfectly since without stopping.  I did NO uninstalling/installing of drivers.

Message 19 of 36
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Culprit,

The difference is that the 2.2.0.5 has the genie software utility while the 2.2.0.6 has only the driver.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 20 of 36
Blayd
Aspirant

Hi all. New member with a huge problem. Wireless adapter WNDA3100v2, updated to windows 10, the adapter stopped working, so I downloaded and installed genie 2.2.0.5, wont run. Tried to uninstall, wont. Tried to uninstall in safe mode, wont. Tried to uninstall driver from device manager under network adapters. After uninstall, tried go run stand alone 2.2.0.6, same thing. So right now, I have genie installed and cant get it uninstalled, and ehen o go to device manager, try to load the driver manually, i get a timed out error. First, how the hell do I get genie uninstalled?
Message 21 of 36
Culprit
Aspirant

Very like what happened to me.  I then deleted the software for the adaptor using windows manager. and then installed 2.2.0.5 (including genie! and drivers!)

and after then plus doing a troubleshooting by the OS, it allowed me to attempt to connect after entering the password.  Works fine ever since.

culprit

Message 22 of 36
Culprit
Aspirant

Hey!  You solved it for me!!!   MANY  MANY  Thanks!  And makes sense now that I think about it too!! 

Until I un-installed all the software drivers using the device manager and then installed 2.2.0.5 I couldn't make any kind of progress.

After that, I could input the password for my WiFi and actually connect !  Whoopie!  

Message 23 of 36
Culprit
Aspirant

Removed software of drivers using device manager (adaptors) un-install.

Message 24 of 36
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Just for info, if the above posts do not solve your problem and you use Zonealarm, then try uninstalling both the WNDA3100v2 and Zonealarm.

Then install WNDA3100v2 first and when happy re-install Zonealrm.

In between clean the registry with say, CCleaner.

That MAY work for you .......

In my case it didn't and I did a 'clean install' ... not a good idea as chaos was the order of the day and a lot of things in Windows 10 were weird and unstable.
I have spent the many days trying very hard to sort it all out. This is a warning to NOT do a clean install, unless you are at your wits end and it is your only option.

I lost the recognition that I was entitled to a free upgrade and it took 3 attempts over a several stressful days to get MS to sort it out.

I would not wish that on anyone ......

Then to cap it all .... windows update refused to work correctly becasue of the previous chaos somethings got corrupted or something.

Eventually got that sorted today, so hopefully I can continue trying to get the PC back to where it was several weeks ago.

Good luck to anyone still with this problem.

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7