× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What are the most optimal properties for the A7000?

JoshRSpprt
Tutor

What are the most optimal properties for the A7000?

Wanting to optimize the settings for my A7000, I've tried looking up ideal adapter properties online, but most resources I've found either don't list the options I can see, or only mention adapters from different manufacturers.

This is what I see.

JoshRSpprt_0-1677687915676.png

Let me know if there's any other information I should provide

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

For the most part, the defaults tend to work the best with windows. 

What actual speeds are you getting over 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

Also keep in mind that speeds over 5ghz drop off quickly with distance/obstructions

Message 2 of 6
JoshRSpprt
Tutor

Wi-Fi Network we have setup is 5ghz, according to what it says on the Network and Sharing Center, the speed is around 1.3 Gbps.

As for distance/obstructions, there's not really much I can do about that. I am basically upstairs from the router, but thankfully the router is only in the room directly below me, don't know if that's going to interfere with it too much.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Are you having problems with it? 

Or why are you searching for optimal settings?
If you're connecting with a 1.3gig link speed, thats as good as its going to get as its a dual band device (1.3gig over 5ghz, 600mbps over 2.4ghz)

Message 4 of 6
JoshRSpprt
Tutor

I see, well if that's as good as it's going to get, I suppose there's not much to be done.

But to answer as to why I'm trying to tweak the properties, aside from just trying to see what I can do to improve/optimize my connection, occasionally I suffer from high ping when playing games, it sometimes has a habit of coming and going, and to date I've never figured out a concrete way of solving or relieving the issue.

I know the obvious answer is just to run an ethernet cable, problem is being able to run a cable from downstairs.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

wifi is susceptible to interference which is why hardwired is always preferred for gaming. You can try changing the router's wifi channel its on for 5ghz in case there's something else on those channels you're using

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7