× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi extender AC1200 Stopped working after working fine for months

Ollie7600
Tutor

Wifi extender AC1200 Stopped working after working fine for months

I have tried resetting the router and wifi extender multiple times with both the WPS method and the normal smart wizard method. I’ve tried using static IP as well. The smart wizard acts like it’s set up fine but my 2.4ghz says connected but doesn’t have internet. (Troubleshoot on windows says it’s due to IP configuration). My 5ghz connects fine and I can access the internet but it constantly will drop and disconnect for no reason. When I log into mywifext.net it shows that my extension has both 2.4 and 5 ghz from my router but that my wifi extender is only giving out 5ghz. I have factory reset my router and my extender multiple times now. I’m very frustrated with this. Frameware is also up to date.
Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8

@Ollie7600 wrote:
The smart wizard acts like it’s set up fine but my 2.4ghz says connected but doesn’t have internet. (Troubleshoot on windows says it’s due to IP configuration).

That sounds like a Windows thing.

I assume that you are using the EX6120 listed in your footer. (AC1200  is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.)

To complete the picture, what router and/or modem sits in front of the extender?

@Ollie7600 wrote:
Frameware is also up to date.

Without knowing the exact firmware version, that's impossible to confirm.

Are you trying to fix the extender, or a USB adapter? That's what this section is for.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Home WiFi Adapters and Powerline. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 8
Ollie7600
Tutor

I can get to the mywifiext set up and I have checked that it’s up to date. I have a Sky fibre optic Router. I don’t think it’s a windows issue as it’s not working on my other devices either. The 5ghz connects to internet but does drop a lot. The 2ghz is connected to router but no internet. The extender was working fine till about a week ago. I have factory reset router and Wifi extender and that still hasn’t solved it. When I troubleshoot on windows about the 2ghz it says it has a ip configuration error.
Message 3 of 8
Ollie7600
Tutor

I meant the firmware. Not framework. My mistake.
Message 4 of 8
Ollie7600
Tutor

I have also gotten the manual and found a virtual copy. Heres a photo of how my set up page looks. I just reset router and extender again to give it another go but this is still happening. I set up both bands in the smart wizard start up but when I try to use 2ghz theres no internet INTERNET.PNG

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 5 of 8

@Ollie7600 wrote:
I can get to the mywifiext set up and I have checked that it’s up to date.

That guarantees nothing. It is the number that matters. Those checks can miss things.

@Ollie7600 wrote:
I have a Sky fibre optic Router.

Again that is a vague generic label. Sky has distributed many different routers. It is the model number that matters. The fibre optic tag also means little. "Fibre" is one of those marketing labels. A bit like "fast".

Is that the only thing between the Internet and the extender?

@Ollie7600 wrote:
The 5ghz connects to internet but does drop a lot.

5 GHz is faster but more prone to interference. It has a shorter range than 2.4 GHz.

@Ollie7600 wrote:
I don’t think it’s a windows issue as it’s not working on my other devices either. ....

When I troubleshoot on windows about the 2ghz it says it has a ip configuration error.

Those two statements don't seem to add up.

Your first message aid:

I have tried resetting the router and wifi extender multiple times with both the WPS method and the normal smart wizard method

What does that mean? WPS has nothing yo do with resetting the extender.

Nor do I recognise "the normal smart wizard method".

Now that you have the manual, read the section Factory Default Settings. That tells you how to reset the device.

Message 6 of 8

It may be some time before the images land. To ensure that you aren't posting anything naughty, a Netgear moderator has to approve the pictures.

You can attach images to messages without any delay.

Message 7 of 8
Ollie7600
Tutor

I fixed my issue following this thread https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/IP-Configuration-failure-EX6120-Rang... even though it was for a different extender it still worked. I had to only pick one band at the start of the smart wizard as picking two doesn't work alot fo the time. One the mywifiext page it now just shows in the diagram of the signals between router and extender. that theres one green signal going into the wifi extender from the router, and theres two green signal coming out. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7