× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

a7000 usb dual channel looks alot like this d link thing

stricknook101
Aspirant

a7000 usb dual channel looks alot like this d link thing

so  it seems to me that this d-link thing being pushed by meta looks an awful lot like my a7000 sub dual channel extender.

is there a way to decicate it to a single device? that device being my quest 2.

i dont understand the properties menu and dont want to just start hitting tabs

Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Re: a7000 usb dual channel looks alot like this d link thing

The A7000 https://www.netgear.com/support/product/A7000.aspx is a AC1900 wireless client to for one device connected from a USB port, allowing to establish a wireless connection to a wireless access point. confused because it claims to be dual-band? It's like your old AM and FM radio where you can listen to one program at a time only 8-)

Message 2 of 12
stricknook101
Aspirant

Umm, yes i do understand that concept, not. For instance like i thought plugging a laptop 6 into a 5 combo unit would make it a wifi 6.
The purpose of the question was, most of the things that matter is pushing for their product line happen to be existing products just much much more expensive so I wanted to check to see if the thing that I already have was going to replace what they're trying to sell me to use. I understand how it works I just don't know if I could get into it to dedicate it to one thing only which is the selling point of the D-Link on meta is that it's essentially the same piece of technology for only one piece of equipment major points for managing to use AM/FM radio in a responsible Wi-Fi question gold star
Message 3 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@stricknook101 wrote:
Umm, yes i do understand that concept, not.

Not convinced i understand your question here or how to help you out from the confusion.

@stricknook101 wrote:
For instance like i thought plugging a laptop 6 into a 5 combo unit would make it a wifi 6.

Loool, sorry. If these 5 port unit has Ethernet switch ports, adding a 6 might be difficult. WiFi 6 is a wireless technology (802.11ax) available on 2.4 and 5 GHz band, and extended by adding more channels on the 6 GHz band to make up WiFi 6E. not sure what we should talk about here.

@stricknook101 wrote:
The purpose of the question was, most of the things that matter is pushing for their product line happen to be existing products just much much more expensive so I wanted to check to see if the thing that I already have was going to replace what they're trying to sell me to use. I understand how it works I just don't know if I could get into it to dedicate it to one thing only which is the selling point of the D-Link on meta is that it's essentially the same piece of technology for only one piece of equipment ...

Not sure i understand your question here or how to help you out from the confusion. nobody does try to sell you here.

The subject you had chosen is "Re: a7000 usb dual channel looks alot like this d link thing" - so you want to have this A7000 wireless client operating on some existing wireless, or shall we talk about some marketing push from another brand on social media (especially when considering  

Message 4 of 12
stricknook101
Aspirant

Well okay, I learned the hard way about the Wi-Fi 5 and the Wi-Fi 6 in the combo router stuff already so that's old news that was just something I was wrong about. So matters version of this unit is a dedicated specifically dedicated to a single unit and apparently it's approved for hooking up to the Nook wirelessly anyway far as I can tell because it's so long as I can tell the quest still doesn't accept USB pretty much anything so there's been a few minor exceptions but for the most part it's no but I'm wondering is if I did if I have to buy a D-link for my quest to or if I can make this c7000 work because it seems to me to be essentially the same piece of equipment I'm aware that it's only going to do one channel at a time or it's meant to do one unit at a time but I don't know if it's going to work for the quest too that's not really the question though I guess the question would be can I dedicate it permanently or something like that to a single device so that I don't have to worry about it changing it up changing Channel or something for a different device cuz I know on my router I can get into my router and turn something on or turn something off permission wise but I haven't figured out how to do it on the c7000 so that's never be the question can I dedicate a c7000 to a specifically single unit good girl I'm going to sit on my foot again aren't you going to sit on my feet again
Message 5 of 12
stricknook101
Aspirant

Well okay, I learned the hard way about the Wi-Fi 5 and the Wi-Fi 6 in the combo router stuff already so that's old news that was just something I was wrong about. So matters version of this unit is a dedicated specifically dedicated to a single unit and apparently it's approved for hooking up to the Nook wirelessly anyway far as I can tell because it's so long as I can tell the quest still doesn't accept USB pretty much anything so there's been a few minor exceptions but for the most part it's no but I'm wondering is if I did if I have to buy a D-link for my quest to or if I can make this c7000 work because it seems to me to be essentially the same piece of equipment I'm aware that it's only going to do one channel at a time or it's meant to do one unit at a time but I don't know if it's going to work for the quest too that's not really the question though I guess the question would be can I dedicate it permanently or something like that to a single device so that I don't have to worry about it changing it up changing Channel or something for a different device cuz I know on my router I can get into my router and turn something on or turn something off permission wise but I haven't figured out how to do it on the c7000 so that's never be the question can I dedicate a c7000 to a specifically single unit good girl I'm going to sit on my foot again aren't you going to sit on my feet againI'm going to sit on my foot again aren't you going to sit on my feet again huh
Message 6 of 12
stricknook101
Aspirant

Oh what I thought I was going to do was to put a Wi-Fi 6 dongle into the back side USB port of a Wi-Fi 5 combo unit and turn the Wi-Fi combo unit into a Wi-Fi 6 router with a dangle dongle were you a laptop USB adapter that's actually originally what I bought the c7000 for until I figured out what it was actually for
Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

let's talk Tacheles here now: Are you under the illusion that

• each random USB Wireless client can be re-purposed as an access point?
  • such a random selected USB access point is implemented and supported to become an access point?
  • a D.Link DWA-X1850 (an AX1800 WiFi 6 USB 3.0 Adapter) can be operated in a different way but a Windows wireless client? 
  • a Netgear A8000 (a AXE3000 WiFi 6/6E USB 3.0 Adapter) can be operated in a different way but a Windows wireless client? 

and last but not least there is a slight chance to operate one of these devices e.g. direct on a C7000 single Gigagbit Router?

Message 8 of 12
stricknook101
Aspirant

Okay there you go yes I am under the impression that the D-Link Works in a different way than the a 7,000 I've got here. Maybe it's just the way they've chosen to advertise it but it sure seems like that's what they're saying. Now I have not managed to pair this to the quest yet not even on normal way so much less get into the actual unit itself to choose one single thing but okay never mind I'll figure it out
Message 9 of 12
stricknook101
Aspirant

And yes okay I thought putting a laptop USB adapter in the back of my router combo would actually make it an upgrade to a Highway by 6 yes I did used to think that. I really did think it would be faster for it yes I did from a laptop dongle I did yes
Message 10 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Most USB WiFi clients don't make reasonable access points. Some NAS vendors used to support such configurations, however the availability or functionality always had limits or restrictions. 

Message 11 of 12
stricknook101
Aspirant

Ok! That's an answer I can understand thank you. I just don't want to have to spend $120 or $130 buying this D-Link for my quest too if I already have a Netgear equivalent that I would prefer to use so that's the that's where I'm trying to figure out here if this if the USB access point that I have is going to be at least equal to or at least not inferior to the D-Link that they're selling for the quest 2. I'm not specifically expecting somebody from Netgear to be aware of the D-Link but I thought that maybe perhaps some would be here on the website would be familiar with both the one I have and the D-Link and would be able to tell me if I can make the Netgear version work on my quest too so I don't have to buy a well quite frankly anything at all from meta I don't have too
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7