× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch JGS516 - Fan vs Fanless

J-Ten
Aspirant

16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch JGS516 - Fan vs Fanless

I had a Netgear JGS516 (16 port Gigabit Ethernet Switch) - worked great and then the fan started making funny noises after several years. I unfortunately hadn't registered the product to take advantage of the lifetime warranty and rather than replacing fan I ordered a brand new unit. Same model number (JGS516). When the new unit arrived it looked identical including the model # printed on front but this unit had NO FAN. The old unit had a fan on the right side and a vent on the left but this version just had a vent on both sides. Love that it's silent but am worried about overheating as it's located in a tight space with other equipment. I liked the old unit's fan because it kept air moving throughout my storage area and helped cool other equipment too. Does anyone know how the model numbers can be identical but one has a fan and the other doesn't? I see a "v.2" model of the JGS516 but the "v.2" is only listed online and isn't on either of my units. Is my fanless version a NEW version that runs cooler? Should I just find a replacement fan for the old unit and return the brand new one? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Model: JGS516|16 Port Gigabit Switch,JGS516v2|16-Port 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
J-Ten
Aspirant

Re: 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch JGS516 - Fan vs Fanless

DaneA - 

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately I no longer have the receipt for my broken Netgear switch and so I am assuming would not be able to fulfill the warranty conditions - even though I now understand it has a "lifetime" warranty.  My mistake.  I did discover that the latest version (or at least another version) of the JGS516 is made fanless by design.  It is a bit confusing because Netgear uses the same model # and while they state a "v. 2" it is unclear the differences.  My suggestion if they keep the same model # would be to simply state "with fan" and "fanless". All that said, the good news is that after some searching I discovered the "AC Infinity Multifan S7" and now have 4 of them silently running in my electonic cabinet and all is much cooler - including my new "fanless" JGS516 with a lifetime warranty (that I registered!). Thank you for the follow up!

J-Ten

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi J-Ten,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I suggest that you register the old JGS516 that has a noisy fan.  Then, open an online case with NETGEAR Support.  State the condition of it and attach a .pdf or .doc copy of its Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice for warranty verification.  If ever the hardware warranty is still valid then an online replacement will follow.

It is possible that the JGS516v2 has a different hardware design.  Did you buy the JGS516v2 from an authorized NETGEAR reseller? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi J-Ten,

Just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to open an online case with NETGEAR Support regarding your old JGS516 that has a noisy fan?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
J-Ten
Aspirant

DaneA - 

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately I no longer have the receipt for my broken Netgear switch and so I am assuming would not be able to fulfill the warranty conditions - even though I now understand it has a "lifetime" warranty.  My mistake.  I did discover that the latest version (or at least another version) of the JGS516 is made fanless by design.  It is a bit confusing because Netgear uses the same model # and while they state a "v. 2" it is unclear the differences.  My suggestion if they keep the same model # would be to simply state "with fan" and "fanless". All that said, the good news is that after some searching I discovered the "AC Infinity Multifan S7" and now have 4 of them silently running in my electonic cabinet and all is much cooler - including my new "fanless" JGS516 with a lifetime warranty (that I registered!). Thank you for the follow up!

J-Ten

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi J-Ten,

I appreciate your feedback.  I'm glad that you have discovered and shared here in the community about the "AC Infinity Multifan S7."  

Since it seems that your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements