× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A point in right direction to educate myself on UnManaged switch

Bblitz8
Aspirant

A point in right direction to educate myself on UnManaged switch

I'm new to the switch thing and I bought a GS108V4 to add more lan lines and to run another wireless access point. I'm hung up on not wanting to run a straight line and want to make 3-4 separate groups. I have 3 lan off my wifi6 router but only want to use 2. Should I use my switch in-between the modem and router or use a older router as a switch in-between the 2? And I really don't know much about managed and unmanaged but from what I have read on so far I'm thinking I bought the wrong one thinking I was able to put different securities on the unmanaged switch I thought the managed had all the security preloaded on it can you still mess with the security on and on managed switched through an IP? I can't seem to figure out how somebody keeps getting into my network even with nothing hooked up to any internet and changing my system and apps as hope and throwing a switch on there in a few access points and separate and things might solve the problem. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: A point in right direction to educate myself on UnManaged switch

Neither your router (wild guess) nor the switch does support a correct isolation of such two networks. Just different IP subnets don't bring any network segregation. Where do you intend to run any kind of routing? It's not so simple as the school theory implies.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Even if your router does offer multiple network ports, if your old re-purposed router has multiple network ports, if your un-manged switch offers multiple ports: Most consumer and soho devices operate on one network, one LAN, one IP subnet, one broadcast domain.  

Message 2 of 5
Bblitz8
Aspirant

That is true but with the subnet you can break off multiple networks with a completely different IP address so if IP #1 starts with 192.168.1.1 than you can use 10.70.14.4 as your second the iso allows 255 IP 4 numbers are used for router 1,4, I think 11 and 254. So manually assigning net 1 with a end isp with say 60 with the DHCP than it would cut off at 60 the rest you can use for a different net. I watched 2 videos on it. And was told on LinkedIn it can be done if you branch off in-between modem and routers
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Neither your router (wild guess) nor the switch does support a correct isolation of such two networks. Just different IP subnets don't bring any network segregation. Where do you intend to run any kind of routing? It's not so simple as the school theory implies.

Message 4 of 5
Bblitz8
Aspirant

Shoot that's what I was afraid of. I'm using the new i6 from cable company it's junk limits almost all your options and you run port fws threw their app. They stop you from getting in threw online. I'm running all out of my house which I run a business out of. Last year every couple week they where shutting me down. I would have to reinstall and after awhile they would attack my external hard drive after I connect it. So I lost a lot of my estimates and invoices. I was really looking at every split having a firewall or something to help defend or alert. But right now they completely shut down my laptop hard drive again. Took window off and when I put in disk image it say not compatible. Start software programing in few days and was really hoping to get a hold on this but now I'm shut always down. I got to figure something out and how they are doing this and stop it. This time around the had the laptop reading or being a virtual machine and I figured it out and found a backdoor out than that when they really amped up attack an I had no control even threw command prompt. Log showed they were writing command to shut mine off with values.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements