× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Advice on what to buy - switch for home use

Bozack90
Aspirant

Advice on what to buy - switch for home use

Hello

I have moved into a new house where at each of the coax locations and in the home office is a Cat5e network drop, currently I have a total of 8 locations.

I also have fios into the house.

Looking for a switch to wall mount in my basement to connect to, currently considering the GS316 or the JGS516, not sure what is the differece between the two besides the latter can be rack mounted.

Or are there any other products I should be thinking of?

thanks

Model: JGS516v2|16-Port 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Bozack90,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Bozack90,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The latest model of the JGS516 switch is the JGS516v2 (v = version).  As far as I have checked the specifications of both GS316 and the JGS516v2 switch, the only difference is the MAC Address Table size.  The GS316 has a MAC Address Table size of 16K while the JGS516v2 has a MAC Address Table size of 8K.  Both switches are compatible for home use.  

Let me share the data sheet of the GS316 and the JGS516v2 switches below:

GS316 SOHO Gigabit Ethernet Data Sheet

ProSAFE JGS516v2 Switch Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
Bozack90
Aspirant

Hey Dane, 

Thanks, I am also thinking of model  GS116A

They all seem very similar though, thanks

Message 3 of 5
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Bozack,

In terms of the performance all models are quite similar . They are line-rate models with a non-blocking architecture so you can support 16 devices at 1Gbps with no bottleneck.

If you have a rack or a small cabinet the JGS516 it´s the perfect fit as it´s a rackmountable model. If you don´t have a rack and you just want to wall-mount the switch the GS316 and GS116 will work well as they are desktop/wall-mount switches.

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Bozack90,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements