Highlighted
Aspirant

Are regional ProSAFE SG108 the same inside?

Hello, a company is selling GS108v4 switches with their proprietary hardware. These switches can also be bought from computer store around the world for less $. The company is saying these other versions of this switch might have different firmware or chipsets and therefore be unreliable with their hardware. Is this true? Do international versions of this switch have different hardware and / or software inside? Also, if I have 2 versions of this switch on my table, can I test them for chipset / firmware versions? Thank you!

Model: GS108v4|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Are regional ProSAFE SG108 the same inside?

They don't want to worry about any 3rd party supplied hardware, potentially different models, firmware compatibility, and configuration - thus supplying switches tested and configured according the solution requirements. This must have a certain price tag.

As you see that the GS108 comes with a (less obvious) v4 version tag, the risk that a potential customer is buying another (older, newer) variant from the free market, and depending on the integration level, they might want to have this under their controls.

Assuming they don't lock down the device (by applying a proprietary password), comparing hardware version, firmware version, and configuration is of course possible. 

Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

The switch they sell is in factory packaging, so no lock down. I am looking to know if this switch has actually different chips or firmware? The one the company sells reads on the label GS108-400NAS and the one I can buy from the store is GS108GE. It might be there is absolutely no difference but the packaging difference for different regions as per this pdf: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/GS105v5-GS108v4.pdf

I would prefer not to pay 100% more for something that is actually 100% same :-)

Message 3 of 4
Guru

The very same GS108 - unmanaged, basic.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements