Highlighted
Aspirant

Best way to connect

I have decided to upgrade my Router N750 WNDR4300 and a unmanaged switch GS316 for more connection this is my delima how to connect it all togeother  to my cable modem and my server running server 2008r2 doing the DHCP. I just need a different suggestion from what I've drawing up.

Thanks In advance

Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Best way to connect

Hi @Rudebwoy,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

Make sure that the cable modem is set to bridge mode and it will be a modem-only device.  Then, connect the cable modem to the WAN port of the WNDR4300.  Configure the WNDR4300 for internet access.  Make sure that you are able to go online when you connect a PC directly to any of the LAN ports of the WNDR4300.  If there is internet access through the WNDR4300, you can connect the GS316 switch to any of the LAN ports of the WNDR4300 which will give you additional ports to connect more devices.  Then, you can connect the 2008r2 server to either the LAN port of the WNDR4300 of the GS316 and set it as the DHCP server.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

@Rudebwoy,

You're welcome! Smiley Happy  If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I sure will

Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hookup per your instruction test internet on my the N750 and I have internet services but when I connect the rest of my computer to the gs316 there was no internet on the rest of the computer. I set the N750 not to do DHCP and that still didn't work

Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Rudebwoy,

Let us isolate the problem.  When the N750 router was still the DHCP server that is directly connected to the GS316 switch, are you able to get a valid IP addresses on the PCs connected to the GS316 switch?  If yes, are you able to get replies when you ping the IP address of the N750 router as well as when you ping a website such as google.com? 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

No. The only computer that will go on the internet is the laptop I had connected to the router.

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

and the laptop wasn't connected to the switch

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

@Rudebwoy,

Since you are not able to get a valid IP address when the N750 router was still the DHCP server that is directly connected to the GS316 switch, kindly try the steps below:

1. On this setup, N750 router-GS316-laptop, set a static IP address on the laptop that is within the local IP address range of the N750 router.  

2. On your laptop that is directly connected to the GS316, check if you able to get replies when you ping the IP address of the N750 router.  Are you able to get replies? 

3. If ever you are able to get replies from the the IP address of the N750 router in #2, check if you able to get replies when you ping a website such as google.com.  Are you able to get replies?

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements