× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Computer Won't Connect to GS108 at 1Gbps When Computer Comes Out of Sleep Mode

Computer Won't Connect to GS108 at 1Gbps When Computer Comes Out of Sleep Mode

I have a GS108 (not V2 or V4) that will not connect to my PC at 1Gbps when it comes out of sleep mode.  Instead, it always connects at 100Mbps.  If I then unplug the RJ45 and plug it back in, the connection is re-established at 1Gbps and remains there.

All cables have been verified to be good.

Power Management setting for the PC's network adapter is set to NOT allow the PC to turn off the device

MSI Z590-A Pro motherboard with an Intel 11th Gen i5 processor and all current drivers installed.

Running Windows 11 with all current updates installed.

Here is the observed sequence of events starting from the PC being in sleep mode:

- Both lights are on indicating 1Gbps connection

- When the PC is awakened, both lights go off for approximately 5 seconds

- Only the 100M light comes on indicating a 100Mbps connection

- Unplug the cable from the switch - both lights are off

- Plug the cable back in to the same port - within 2 or 3 seconds, both lights come on and a 1Gbps connection is established

- PC put back to sleep mode - both lights remain on until the above sequence is repeated

I have tried two different switches one of which is a GS108v4 and this problem never occurs but if I put the original GS104 back in place, it always occurs.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Computer Won't Connect to GS108 at 1Gbps When Computer Comes Out of Sleep Mode

@Mountainbreeze,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

I suggest you to open a support ticket with the NETGEAR Support Team here at anytime for a hardware check.  If the GS108 has been proven faulty, be ready to upload a soft copy of the Proof of Purchase of it for warranty verification.  If the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will be processed.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

some devices are more sensitive to cables than others in my opinion. I know you said you've verified the cables but I'd try a different one. Usually unmanaged switches either work or not at all. there isn't much in between. 

Message 2 of 5

When I said the cables were verified good, that included trying several different cables including a new Cat 5e cable.  Problem persisted.

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Mountainbreeze,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

I suggest you to open a support ticket with the NETGEAR Support Team here at anytime for a hardware check.  If the GS108 has been proven faulty, be ready to upload a soft copy of the Proof of Purchase of it for warranty verification.  If the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will be processed.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5

Did an RMA, got a replacement, all is fixed.  Thanks NETGEAR for fast and great service.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements