× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FS105v2 interop problems with gigabit switches and router

smoyerphd
Aspirant

FS105v2 interop problems with gigabit switches and router

I'm seeing very poor performance when a FS105v2 is connected to a switch or router with gigabit ports.  This is 100% netgear equipment.

R7800 router <--> client: yields 235Mbps on speedtest.net

R7800 router <--> FS105 switch <--> client: yields 20Mbps on speedtest.net

Interestingly:

R7800 router <--> EX7300 (configured with fastlane on 5GHz to use as a wireless bridge) <--> GS305 switch <--> FS105 switch <--> client: yields 45Mbps on speedtest.net

I have eliminated all the obvious possibilities: 1) checked that all cables can support 1000Mbps, 2) tried multiple FS105v2 switches, and 3) tried multiple clients (with both gigabit and fast ethernet networking cards)

I would just ditch the FS105 and use all GS305 if I could -- but I have one cable run through a wall that only has 2x good twisted pair which won't auto-negotiate to 100Mbps with a gigabit switch.

Since there is no FW to upgrade I'm guessing I'm stuck and will have to try another brand of fast ethernet switch, but I thought I would see if anyone had other ideas first.

Regards, Steve

Model: FS105v2|5 PORT Fast Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
smoyerphd
Aspirant

Re: FS105v2 interop problems with gigabit switches and router

NetGear support had no idea why this happens.  Their suggestion was to file a ticket against the router.

I decided not to pursue this any further.  I have a workaround which is to insert an extraneous GS305 so that I have 2x GS305 between my router and my FS105v2 (which I need due to some 100BASE-TX wiring).  This works -- it's an annoying but cheap solution.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi smoyerphd, 

I advise you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support at anytime.  If ever the device hardware is found faulty, then please be ready to submit a soft copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of your FS105 for warranty verification via the online case.  If the hardware warranty is still valid, then an online replacement will follow.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
smoyerphd
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestion.  However, I tried 2x different FS105v2 switches with identical results so HW malfunction seems like a low probability (though certainly possible).

Regards, Steve

Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi smoyerphd,

Since you have already tried 2 FS105v2 switches and the same problem occurs, then I still suggests you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support and let them know that you have already tried to isolate the problem on your end for further assistance.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
smoyerphd
Aspirant

I have submitted a support ticket.

That said, I now have this narrowed down to the simplest use case that exhibits the problem:

CM500 modem <--> R7800 router <--> GS305 switch <--> FS105 switch <--> client: yields 47Mbps on speedtest.net

CM500 modem <--> R7800 router <--> GS305 switch <--> GS305 switch <--> FS105 switch <--> client: yields 95Mbps on speedtest.net

This is 100% reproducible over dozens of tests.

Net: If I have 2x GS305 between the router and FS105 I get the full 95Mbps, but with only 1x GS305 between the router and FS105 I only get 47Mbps.

I doubt there is any work-around, other than inserting an extraneous gigabit switch, but I thought I would document this here for the community in case anyone else sees the issue.

I will likely try another brand of fast ethernet switch to see if that fixes this problem -- if I do I'll share the results here.

Message 5 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi smoyerphd, 

Any updates on your online case? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
smoyerphd
Aspirant

NetGear support had no idea why this happens.  Their suggestion was to file a ticket against the router.

I decided not to pursue this any further.  I have a workaround which is to insert an extraneous GS305 so that I have 2x GS305 between my router and my FS105v2 (which I need due to some 100BASE-TX wiring).  This works -- it's an annoying but cheap solution.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements