× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318G – ProSafe 8-port Gigabit VPN Firewall

tskiba
Initiate

FVS318G – ProSafe 8-port Gigabit VPN Firewall

I apologize if  this is too basic a question, but I'm a networking novice who needs some advice. 

Home internet consists of comcast cable piped thru a Netgear CM600 cable modem which then feeds a 

FVS318G – ProSafe 8-port Gigabit VPN Firewall which is running with all default settings (at least i haven't changed any). i have hard wire ethernet coming out of 5 of the 8 lan ports, one which feeds a wifi router and the other 4 feed dedicated devices including desktop computer, blu ray players , and tv.

So here is the problem.  I am getting only a ssmall fraction of my available internet speed out to the devices.  

At the cable modem i measure about 180 mbps download  before the FVS318G.  None of the legs coming out of the FVS318G hits more than 18 mbps and most peak out around 11 to 15.  Since it is extremely unlikely that more than one ot two outputs are downloading at high speed at any given moment shouldn't i  be seeing higher speeds for throughput. Even if the 5 active ports distribute the bandwidth equally i still would expect a minimum of 36mbps (180/5)  Sure i have something setup wrog here.  any advice would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS318G – ProSafe 8-port Gigabit VPN Firewall

Hello tskiba, 

Welcome to the community! 

If this is an FVS318G version 1 you are a little out of luck since the maximum WAN-to-LAN throughput that it can handle is just about 11Mbps. However, if you have a version 2 (FVS318Gv2) then I would say it is an issue since the v2 can accommodate up to 250Mbps. If you want me to check what version you have, you can send me a PM of the serial number. 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello tskiba, 

Welcome to the community! 

If this is an FVS318G version 1 you are a little out of luck since the maximum WAN-to-LAN throughput that it can handle is just about 11Mbps. However, if you have a version 2 (FVS318Gv2) then I would say it is an issue since the v2 can accommodate up to 250Mbps. If you want me to check what version you have, you can send me a PM of the serial number. 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 3
tskiba
Initiate

Thanks.  Based on the serial number this appears to be a v1 unit.  Will be upgrading to a v2 unit this weekend.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements