× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS 305 dropping internet connection

choifoto
Tutor

GS 305 dropping internet connection

Hi,

I have a cable modem-->GS300-->wireless router set-up.  Once I hook everything up, the internet works for a few minutes, then the connection terminates.  I'm not sure if it's the wireless modem that is doing this.  Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: GS 305 dropping internet connection

It should go modem---->router--->switch (GS305)

Message 2 of 7
choifoto
Tutor

Thanks for your reply.  I can't connect the switch to the router because they are in different locations.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Most ISP's only support 1 public ip address. The router take that 1 public ip address and assigns private ip addresses to the devices on your network (simplified version). 

So if you're device is a modem only device and you connect a switch to it, that address can get assigned to the wrong device.

Its why it needs some type of routing device connected to it before the switch. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If you only have the router connected to the switch in between the modem and router, and don't connect anything else to the switch accept for the router, this can work. If the switch is in good working condition and good cables are used. CAT6 is recommended. 

Preferred connection between the modem and router would be a good LAN cable in between though. 

Message 5 of 7
choifoto
Tutor

Thanks very much for your response. Maybe I should describe the situation in more detail. I’m hoping you can give me advice because I’m fairly ignorant of setting up a network. My cable modem comes into the house and sits in a closet. I deliberately moved my wireless router away from this location to a location more central to my house. I wanted to attach a switch at the cable modem ( in the closet) so that I can run one wire to my wireless modem and another Ethernet wire to my desktop computer. I cannot attach a switch to the router because I cannot then run Ethernet cable to my computer from that location. What can I do to make this work? Many thanks.
Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

It won't work like that. You need to go modem----router---switch/devices or you'll run into the issues you're having. 

But you didn't put what router you have. 

you could pick up a cheap router and go

modem--->router---->switch/router/access point to supply your devices. 

You could either use the cheap one as the initially one after the modem or for the access point. Or you could use an access point. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements