× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS105 slowing down internet speed

msfixit111
Aspirant

GS105 slowing down internet speed

I have a 5 port switch connected to my pc, VOIP (phone), homeplug (wired ethernet), and wireless router.  My internet download speeds are running at about half of what they should be (compared to when I connect directly to my modem; without switch).  My cable guy suggested a new switch but when I talked to Netgear support, they said it's not the switch (do these switches wear out?). 

My set up is like this:

internet setup diagram.JPG

Not sure if this set up is the issue or something else going on.  Was wondering if the homeplug was slowing it down but I need it when I can't/won't use wireless router.  I have two homeplugs and one has to be connected to the modem in order for it to work (connected through the switch as shown above).  As far as lights go on the Netgear switch, all of the lights are lit and flickering except the blue cord only activates the "left side" light of the port (I tried different ports and it was the same thing - maybe that's how that device is meant to light up). Not sure what those lights mean, to begin with!  I just want to know if this set up is causing my internet speed to slow down and if there is anything I can do to improve it.  Would love to hear thoughts and suggestions.  Thank you!

Model: GS105v4|ProSafe 5 ports gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 17
msfixit111
Aspirant

Re: GS105 slowing down internet speed

Moderator: My diagram isn't showing up in my original post.  I will try to post it again here:

internet setup diagram.JPEG

Message 2 of 17
plemans
Guru

Try going:

modem----Router------switch----devices (including voip phone)

Message 3 of 17
schumaku
Guru

A good start would be the fine documentation. Unfortunately, Netgear does ony list the GS105(v1) and the GS105v5 - based on the 5-Port and 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch model GS105v5 and GS108v4 Quick Start Guide the LEDs try to say this:

===

Port (left and right)
• Both LEDs are solid green. 1000 Mbps link on this port.
Left LED is solid green. 100 Mbps link on this port.
• Right LED is solid green. 10 Mbps link on this port.
• Blinking green. The port is sending or receiving traffic.
• Off. The switch does not detect a link on this port.

===

Wherever the blue cable is connecting to ... half and double is not the greatest useful information. Does "slow down" mean the speed is limited to some ~95Mb/s ?

Message 4 of 17
msfixit111
Aspirant

Thanks for the explanation on the switch lights.

Yes, around 92.5 mbps (download) and 26.6 (upload).  The download speed was upward of 200 mbps when I connected directly to modem (without switch).

I wish this picture I uploaded would display here but so far nothing.  It shows my setup.

Message 5 of 17
schumaku
Guru

So what is connecting to the port showing the 100 Mb/s link only? Suspect something in the data path between computer and the Internet - thus the "slower" speed... 

Try a different cable - Gigabit (both LED on) requires four working pairs.

The mods are always working on allowing in-line images. You could add it as an attachment if you are in a hurry.

Message 6 of 17
plemans
Guru

I know your diagram showed you had it going modem---voip----switch----router.

I'm not 100% but many of the voip's that i've used have only been 10/100mbps devices. 

Its why i recommended going modem------>router------switch/voip

Message 7 of 17
msfixit111
Aspirant

Thanks.  I actually did try a different cable for the "single" light port but it was the same issue. Also tried a different device in that port and both lights worked fine.  The cable currently connects to the "home" port on my VOIP (the other port on the VOIP device is "modem."  I think my diagram will explain things better.  How do I "attach" a photo?  Do you mean "choose file?"  If so, I did that and got the same outcome.  Guess we'll have to wait for moderator to approve it.  

Message 8 of 17
plemans
Guru

What modem do you have? 

What voip?

What router? 

And how is it laid out? 

See in my signature how I have my setup laid out? try that with model numbers

Message 9 of 17
msfixit111
Aspirant

You can see my diagram????  Hmmm, I can't see it.  Just a fill-in pic until it's approved.    Anyway, I figured the VOIP is a certain amount of mbps.  But is that what is slowing everything down (since the modem has to go through the VOIP device)?  

I haven't tried "modem------>router------switch/voip" since I don't keep my router on all the time (unplug it when not in use).

Message 10 of 17
plemans
Guru

Not sure why but the 2nd post showed briefly. its not anymore. 

Try it how I described. Leave the router/switch on 24/7. They don't use much electricity and most voip devices aren't gigabit as well as I don't know their dhcp/nat capability. 

Message 11 of 17
msfixit111
Aspirant

I worked too hard on that diagram.  Let's wait for it to show up before going further...  thx

Message 12 of 17
plemans
Guru

From what I recall, there wasn't model numbers on the diagram. Just generic "modem" "voip" "router".  

At least listing which devices you have would be beneficial. 

Message 13 of 17
schumaku
Guru

The diagram as shown is a recipe to a networking nightmare.

First, the modem - truly a modem-only device or also a NAT router? Probably a modem with NAT router ... because most ISP only allow one public IP address on a modem and you would have even more issues.

Then the phone abused as a bridge device to connect the other devices to the Internet and/or the effective router (the modem). As @plemans already mentioned, well possible many VoIP phones and the built-in bridge are Fast Ethernet only.

Finally another NAT router with it's WAN port creating yet another network? Or is this router configured as a plain access point?

Message 14 of 17
msfixit111
Aspirant

OK, I see my diagram has posted.

Thank you, schumaku, for your frankness.  And yes, my setup is a hot mess.  I'm sure plemans will agree.  I had a feeling the VOIP might be an issue.  I wish there was another set up so as not to put so much strain on the VOIP and everything else going through it. 

Forgive me, what is a NAT router?  Plain access point?

MODEM: ARRIS TM1602A

ROUTER: SAGEMCOM F@ST 5260cv

VOIP: OOMA

Message 15 of 17
msfixit111
Aspirant

Sorry about that!  Here you go:

MODEM: ARRIS TM1602A

ROUTER: SAGEMCOM F@ST 5260cv

VOIP: OOMA

Message 16 of 17
plemans
Guru

Go arris---->sagemcom---->switch/ooma/devices

Ooma devices are only 10/100mbps devices. not gigabit (so far)

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements