× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS105V4 led light issue

ICT_Team
Aspirant

GS105V4 led light issue

All The led lights on my GS105V4 switch have just started blinking and i have lost connection on my 2 computers connected on the switch. The lights stops blinking when i unplug the ethernet cable from the switch. I have tried to plug 1 computer at a time on different switch ports but the issue persists. I have tried to powercycle the switch but this did not resolve the issue. Can you please let me know whats causing this issue?

Regards

Reg

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ICT_Team
Aspirant

HI JennC and DaneA

Thank you for your responce. The switch was connected to the router. I found that the switch is faulty since all the led lights kept flashing or turn on and off when i unplugged all the network cables from the switch. I have replaced the switch with a new one.

Regards

ICT_Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ICT_Team,

GS105v4 is a passthrough gigabit switch that does not have any configuration. Its main purpose is to add more LAN ports to a router. It has no capability of broadcasting IP addresses on a network that is why it is router dependent.

Blinking LEDs mean there is an activity going on between the device that is connected to that port and the switch.

If the switch is connected to a router, remove the switch from the router and connect the computers to the router directly. There should be at least 2-3 computers connected straight to the router. Then, test the connection on these computers, see if they all get online at the same time with no issues. In this way, you will know if the router's LAN ports are working on the network. It is important to check this as the switch will depend on the LAN ports of the router.

Once you are sure the routers LAN connections to computers or any LAN device are working with no problem, check the LEDs on the switch. While the switch is not connected to the router, connect one computer to the switch and observe the LED for the port where you connected the computer. Do the same on all other ports on the switch, in that way, you will be able to know which port is no longer working.

Below is a list of LED activities of the switch:

both right and left LEDs are lit up - there is a link and it is running on 1000mbps (1gbps)

left LED lit up - link is running on 100mbps

right LED lit up - link is running on 10mbps

blinking LED - there is activity on the link

LED is off - no link

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ICT_Team,

As a follow-up question to what JennC has shared unto you,  is your GS105V4 directly connected to a router or another switch or modem/router or modem-only device?  

I look forward to your response.Smiley Happy

Regards, 

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
ICT_Team
Aspirant

HI JennC and DaneA

Thank you for your responce. The switch was connected to the router. I found that the switch is faulty since all the led lights kept flashing or turn on and off when i unplugged all the network cables from the switch. I have replaced the switch with a new one.

Regards

ICT_Team

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ICT_Team,

You are welcome! Smiley Happy

We're glad that you have isolated the problem and the replacement switch is working fine.

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements