dagfinnrime
Aspirant

GS105v5: Only one port working at a time

Hi, 

I have a GS105v5. 

My setup is

* modem - wireless router - switch:

* I get signal when plugging in switch to network-point

* I get active port/internet for first cable inserted into switch. I have tried all ports and get internet. Great!

* PROBLEM: I don't get internet when I insert second cable (irrespective of which port the first was inserted to, or for several different cables. Use cat 5, 5e and 6) 

Router: ASUS AC240 4x4 Dual-band gigabit router.

Thanks in advance,

Dagfinn

Model: GS105v5|ProSAFE 5-port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GS105v5: Only one port working at a time

Hi @dagfinnrime,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

* modem - wireless router - switch:

* I get signal when plugging in switch to network-point

* I get active port/internet for first cable inserted into switch. I have tried all ports and get internet. Great!

* PROBLEM: I don't get internet when I insert second cable (irrespective of which port the first was inserted to, or for several different cables. Use cat 5, 5e and 6) 

Have you checked if the devices connected through the GS105v5 switch via 2nd or 3rd cable gets a LAN IP Address from the Asus router?  If yes, open command prompt and check if can get replies when you ping the LAN IP Address of the Asus router as well as ping a website such as google.com.  

Also, try to set a static LAN IP Address on the devices connected through the GS105v5 switch via 2nd or 3rd cable then  open command prompt and check if can get replies when you ping the LAN IP Address of the Asus router as well as ping a website such as google.com. 

Let us know the result.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
dagfinnrime
Aspirant

Hi, 

thanks for your suggestion. 

* I logged onto the router, but could not see the switch or its components in the "network-map". From the list there were two cabled components, and several wifi. It didn't seem that the switch was among the cabled components (turned it off without any impact on the list of components). So maybe I looked in the wrong list or something. 

-- The component added to the switch is a cable-TV box, and TV only work when switch is turned on. 

* However. Now two ports are "active" (LEDs indicating activity). But the third cable inserted don't show any activity (no LEDs blinking). Is it very "cable-sensitive"?

Best,

Dagfinn

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@dagfinnrime,

* I logged onto the router, but could not see the switch or its components in the "network-map". From the list there were two cabled components, and several wifi. It didn't seem that the switch was among the cabled components (turned it off without any impact on the list of components). So maybe I looked in the wrong list or something. 

Since the GS105v5 is a pass-through unmanaged switch, it will not obtain an IP address from the router and therefore its normal that it is not shown on the connected devices in the router unlike other devices such as PC or laptop (either wired or wireless).  The purpose of the GS105v5 switch is to extend the local network wherein it provides you additional ports to connect more devices. 

-- The component added to the switch is a cable-TV box, and TV only work when switch is turned on. 

This is normal.  It means that the cable-TV box gains connection. 

* However. Now two ports are "active" (LEDs indicating activity). But the third cable inserted don't show any activity (no LEDs blinking). Is it very "cable-sensitive"?

What is the device connected via the 3rd cable?  Have you tried changing the ethernet cable?  Also, try connecting this certain device to other ports of the GS105v5 switch then check if the ports LEDs will lit up. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements