× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108 dropping internet whenconnected to Xfinity gateway

ggraeff
Tutor

GS108 dropping internet whenconnected to Xfinity gateway

Hello - since needing to add more LAN connected devices to my home network to support work and school from home, I added a GS108 switch to my network.  I have Xfinity Gb internet, using the XB6 gateway (modem/router/wifi).  One LAN port on the gateway is plugged into the switch, and one is plugged into my Arlo base station.

On the switch, I have two additional home automation hubs, a ReadyNAS, and two laptops, with a plan to add a third via MOCA. 

Initially, everything seems to work perfectly.  All devices connect, receive IP addresses from the gateway and have internet access.  However, after a period of time, all the devices connected to the switch lose their internet connection.  I've seen the connections last two days, and I've seen them drop in the matter of 30 minutes.  I've reset all devices, in order from gateway outward, and the reset typically fixes the problem until the next instance of the drop.  I've also introduced each connection to the switch one at a time to determine if I have a problem with one of the devices, or perhaps the cable to one of devices.  The most recent attempt, I used eight hours to connect them, and everything was stable.  However, this morning, after two+ days, it happened again.  I reset everything, and I still had the problem.  I've also swapped LAN ports between the Arlo base and the switch, but it happens on both ports.

Unfortuantely, my five port TP-link switch doesn't seem to have this problem (and it didn't prior to replacing it with the GS108).  I'm also on my second GS108, since I thought the first one might have been defective, but both exhibit the same problem.

Is there something I'm missing?  I haven't replaced the gateway since that's so disruptive to my network, but that might have to be my next move, unless someone has some thought on what might be going on.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ggraeff
Tutor

Re: GS108 dropping internet whenconnected to Xfinity gateway

Hello, and thank you for getting back with me.  I believe that I have finally identified that problem.  This morning, I upgraded my Xfinity gateway the the XB7 (to eliminate it as part of the problem), which has four LAN ports, so I was able to isolate my critical home automation hubs to it, and individually test the remaining devices on the switch.  It appears that I have an Aukey USB hub, which has a LAN port, that has been failing, but also working for periods of time.  This morning, it seems to be failing all the time, as plugging it in will immediately cause all nodes in the switch to drop.  I'll be doing more testing, including the CAT6 cable running to that room, but I believe I've identified that the problem isn't the fault of the switch.

Thank you for you help!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ggraeff,

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What is the behavior of the port LED lights on the GS108 switch?

b. Have you tried changing the ethernet cables you are using?

c. If you will connect a PC directly to the XB6 gateway, is the internet access just fine? 

d. Is your GS108 switch a GS108v4 (v = version)? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
ggraeff
Tutor

Hello, and thank you for getting back with me.  I believe that I have finally identified that problem.  This morning, I upgraded my Xfinity gateway the the XB7 (to eliminate it as part of the problem), which has four LAN ports, so I was able to isolate my critical home automation hubs to it, and individually test the remaining devices on the switch.  It appears that I have an Aukey USB hub, which has a LAN port, that has been failing, but also working for periods of time.  This morning, it seems to be failing all the time, as plugging it in will immediately cause all nodes in the switch to drop.  I'll be doing more testing, including the CAT6 cable running to that room, but I believe I've identified that the problem isn't the fault of the switch.

Thank you for you help!

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

USB Hub with Ethernet Port - Killing Network

@ggraeff you mentioned having some USB hub with an Ethernet port aparently killing your LAN, or a part of it.

Unluckily somebody closed your thread so we can't reply. @ChristineT bad idea 8-)

Please provide details (as much as possible) on your network switches, LAN/NAT router, ... exact details of the GS108 (label!).

These USB Hub are sending out so-called stop packets frames when not in use e.g. powered but no computer connected. These are intended for the single link - from the USB Hub Ethernet port to the switch (the dedicated GS108, or the LAN ports on the router). Some poorly implemented switches ignore this stop packet, and forward these to other devices on the network, what can lead to the complete network stop working obviously - as all devices are told to stop sending to the network. 

Model: GS108|Gigabit Switches
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements