GS108 port mirroring, replacing hub

PerF
Aspirant

GS108 port mirroring, replacing hub

Are trying to replace an old hub between five computers with a ProSafe GS108T switch. The fifth computer works as a network monitor. The problem is if I use port mirroring in GS108T for the network monitor computer (its port is configured as "probe") I receive the mirrored packages but the monitor computer cannot participate in the network any more (e.g. send and receive packages using its own ip). 

I know this is not standard behavour but the custom built monitor software also requires network connectivity. Are there any settings or other switches where this is possible? 

Model: GS108|Gigabit Switches
Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GS108 port mirroring, replacing hub

Hi @PerF,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

In a GS108T switch, the port configured as destination port (probe) in Port Mirroring will no longer pass traffic. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
PerF
Aspirant

Thanks for a quick reply! This was the observed behaviour.

Can you recommend any other Netgears products where such a configuration with mirroring and still pass traffic while in use would be possible?

Message 3 of 4
jonathan_l
NETGEAR Expert

I think the purpose of port mirroring is analyze/debug/capture the packets copied from another switch port, the interface connects to mirrored port should not access the network.

For me, I would use two different interfaces on the PC, one for normal internet access, and one for connecting to mirror port for analyze/debug/capture (e.g. via usb-ethernet adapter)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements