× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108Ev3 port issues

SAH2016
Aspirant

GS108Ev3 port issues

Prosafe GS108ev3 8 port having issues with two ports underperforming throughput. Six of the ports deliver 100+ Mbps while two ports only reach 20 Mbps. Looking at the prosafe utility shows none of the ports have limits set on them. Suggestions?
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS108Ev3 port issues

Hi SAH2016,

You're welcome!  I am glad to know that it helped. 🙂 

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SAH2016,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What LAN ports on the GS108Ev3 that only reaches 20Mbps?  (For example: ports 5 and 😎

b. What is the behavior of the LED lights of the LAN ports on the GS108Ev3 that only reaches 20Mbps?

c. What type of ethernet cable are you using on the devices connected to the 2 LAN ports that only reach 20Mbps?  Is it a CAT5e or CAT6 ethernet cable?  

d. Have you tried changing the ethernet cable on the devices connected to the 2 LAN ports that only reach 20Mbps?

e. What are the devices connected to these 2 LAN ports that only reach 20Mbps?  Kindly indicate the brand and model of the device.

f.  Have you tried updating the software driver of the LAN card of the devices connected to these 2 LAN ports that only reach 20Mbps?

g. What is the current firmware of the GS108Ev3 switch?

h. Have you tried to factory reset the GS108Ev3 switch?

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi SAH2016,

One more question, 6 ports deliver 100+ Mbps while 2 ports only reach 20 Mbps, how did you measure port forwarding performance? Kindly let's know if you use any addtional tools?

Message 3 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SAH2016,

I just want to follow-up on this.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 11
SAH2016
Aspirant

Wanted to re-rest after restoring switch to factory settings and restarting. I also tested multiple cables to ensure that was not causing inconsistencies. Additionally I performed all new tests with no other users on the network.

My complete layout is the following:

Netgear CM400 Cable Modem with Comcast service - tested speed suing Xfinity speed test; out of modem was 150Mbps for both IPv4 and v6

Apple Extreme - all ethernet ports showing performance of 150+ also.

Netgear Prosafe GS108Ev3 - In the same room as modem and Extreme. 

PaKedge 55WPDE (5) switch - In the same room as modem and Extreme.

Used a Macbook and Dell laptop using Xfinity Speed test on all ports of Extreme, Netgear and PaKedge switches in the same room with no other cables attached other than to the Extreme and one laptop at a time. Additionally changed the ethernet cables to each switch to ensure that was not an issue. 

All Netgear switch ports are now delivering 20-25 Mbps with both lights on when ethernet cable attached and IPv4 and IPv6

Pakedge switch delivers 150+ out of all ports. Checked end of remote connection to PaKedge switch and was also getting 150+ hard wired (Ethernet wire in walls to remote study, hard wired to Macbook and Dell, both saw 150+ Mbps).

I'm stumped.....any suggestions?

Message 5 of 11
SAH2016
Aspirant

Left out the firmware - 2.00.05

Message 6 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SAH2016,

I suggest you to try to update the firmware to v2.00.08 then check if same problem will occur.  Be sure to perform a factory reset on the GS108Ev3 switch after upgrading the firmware.  You may download firmware v2.00.08 here.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 11
SAH2016
Aspirant

Upgraded to 2.00.08, then performed factory reset.

No changes to throughput.

Consistently seeing low 20 Mbps while all other hard wire connections seeing 150+ Mbps.

Thoughts?

Message 8 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SAH2016,

Kindly try to enable Flow Control on the GS108Ev3 switch then check if same problem will occur.  Read pages 56-57 of the ProSAFE® Gigabit Web Managed (Plus) Switches user manual here on how to enable Flow Control on the GS108Ev3 switch. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 11
SAH2016
Aspirant

That did the trick. The speed jumped to 150+ on each of the ports.

While it's not clear why that helped to that degree, thank you for your help in trouble shooting this.

Thanks

Message 10 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SAH2016,

You're welcome!  I am glad to know that it helped. 🙂 

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements