× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS108P setting VLAN

Pank007
Aspirant

GS108P setting VLAN

Hi,

I have a GS108P unmanaged switch and was looking through the documentation. I noticed that there is a network diagram in the documentation that shows the switch can support 2 Vlan. Could someone advise how this can be achieved given that the switch is unmanaged?

Thanks,

Pank

Model: GS108P|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Switch with 4-port PoE
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Pank007,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

I agree that the diagram depicted in the GS108P Data Sheet is misleading.  However, what it really denotes is the capability of the GS108P switch to power up access points (such as WNDAP330 & WG103 shown in the diagram) that supports PoE which is connected by the red lines and at the same time you can connect other networking devices (such as PCs) which is indicated by the blue lines that describes that the GS108P extends the local network.  

It is not possible to configure VLANs in the GS108P switch since its an unmanaged switch.  

Just to add, the GS108P switch is already EoL ( End-of-Life).  I have already sent a report about the GS108P Data Sheet to be corrected.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hi Pank, I fear the GS108P is really a non-managed switch, and the two VLAN information shown on the GS108P Data Sheet is misleading. One could assume that the switch is properly forwarding tagged frames however.

Edit: Similar thread in the community -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unmanaged-Switches/ProSafe-Plus-Configuration-Utility-amp-GS108P/td... confirming this.

Message 2 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Pank007,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

I agree that the diagram depicted in the GS108P Data Sheet is misleading.  However, what it really denotes is the capability of the GS108P switch to power up access points (such as WNDAP330 & WG103 shown in the diagram) that supports PoE which is connected by the red lines and at the same time you can connect other networking devices (such as PCs) which is indicated by the blue lines that describes that the GS108P extends the local network.  

It is not possible to configure VLANs in the GS108P switch since its an unmanaged switch.  

Just to add, the GS108P switch is already EoL ( End-of-Life).  I have already sent a report about the GS108P Data Sheet to be corrected.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Pank007,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further inquiries.  

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
Pank007
Aspirant

Thanks for the reasponses.

Hopefully NETGEAR will correct the diagram in the documentation.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements