× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS116 & STP cable

kmmcd
Aspirant

GS116 & STP cable

The GS116 has what appears to be a ground lug on the rear. I measure 0 ohms resistance between the RJ45 jack metal frames and internal tabs and this lug. Presumably, the metal plug of a STP cable will contact these tabs. If I connect the rear lug to ground of another piece of equipment, will this switch effectively support STP shielding? The manual does not mention this lug, and the specification sheet indicates that the connectors are UTP connectors.

Model: GS116v2|16-port Gigabit Switch 10/100/1000 Mbps
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS116 & STP cable

@kmmcd wrote:

The GS116 has what appears to be a ground lug on the rear. I measure 0 ohms resistance between the RJ45 jack metal frames and internal tabs and this lug. Presumably, the metal plug of a STP cable will contact these tabs.

Yes, of course.

@kmmcd wrote:

If I connect the rear lug to ground of another piece of equipment, will this switch effectively support STP shielding?

Sure.

@kmmcd wrote:

The manual does not mention this lug, and the specification sheet indicates that the connectors are UTP connectors.

Looks like a mistake on the almost 10 year old data sheet of the GS116 - the newer GS116v2 data sheet (from around 2014) does no longer talk of UTP ports (what does make no sense - as there is perfect shielding/grounding capability in place).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS116 & STP cable

@kmmcd wrote:

The GS116 has what appears to be a ground lug on the rear. I measure 0 ohms resistance between the RJ45 jack metal frames and internal tabs and this lug. Presumably, the metal plug of a STP cable will contact these tabs.

Yes, of course.

@kmmcd wrote:

If I connect the rear lug to ground of another piece of equipment, will this switch effectively support STP shielding?

Sure.

@kmmcd wrote:

The manual does not mention this lug, and the specification sheet indicates that the connectors are UTP connectors.

Looks like a mistake on the almost 10 year old data sheet of the GS116 - the newer GS116v2 data sheet (from around 2014) does no longer talk of UTP ports (what does make no sense - as there is perfect shielding/grounding capability in place).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements