× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS205 keeps dropping connection and re-connecting.

one2one
Aspirant

GS205 keeps dropping connection and re-connecting.

I am connecting this via a Virgin Media super hub, and it keeps dropping the connection, and reconnecting at random.

I am using windows 10.

can anyone help?

I have all cat6 cables connecting all equipment so there's no back compatibility issues. it should be simple, but can't help it when the light just goes off on the port on the GS205, and then maybe 20 seconds later it comes back on for a while.

help...........please.

Model: GS205|5-port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
alshatti82
Aspirant

Re: GS205 keeps dropping connection and re-connecting.

thanks for your reply, it did work for after changing ethernet setting in my internet provider router (SKY). i changed the ethernet setting from Gigabit to fast ethernet and every things worked perfectly so far.  

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Are all ports affected on both sides?

Message 2 of 11
one2one
Aspirant

Erm, if you mean does the port still work on the virgin media side, yes it seems to be.

if I plug from the ethernet socket to the GS205 port into port 1 2 3 4 or 5 it still behaves the same way

seems to work for a while, then light goes off, then after a short while it comes back on again.

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Hard to guess now. A direct connection ie. from a PC/Mac to the Virgin Media Hub does stay up reliably? Any other Gigabit Ethernet switch at hand to compare? 

I'd suggest you open a support case with Netgear, ie. by chat, assuming the GS205 is new and under warranty.

Message 4 of 11
one2one
Aspirant

no other switch to test it with. and yes.. if its a direct connection to the hub it works fine.

only when it goes through the netgear does it drop!  reconnect... drop.. reconnect.. at random

I can't open a ticket as its now more than a year old.

guess I'll have to buy a new switch from another company as I dont want to try netgear again.

Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

So this set-up is established for a while, just the issue is new in this case? If yes - potentially failing or broken hardware. The GS205 is covered under a three year limited warranty if I'm right. -> http://www.netgear.com/about/warranty/

Message 6 of 11
alshatti82
Aspirant

Hi, I'm having the same problem. i wonder if you found a solution to it. if you  already have can you please let me know. Many thanks. 

Message 7 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @alshatti82,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Since the GS205 is an unmanaged switch, I suggest you to open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support at anytime and let them know about your concern.  If ever the GS205 switch is declared faulty, be ready to submit a .doc or .pdf copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the GS205 switch for warranty verification.  If ever the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will follow. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 11
one2one
Aspirant

Never found the solution, tried different leads, attaching to different ports.

nothing worked, so i threw the useless piece of rubbish in the bin and bought a different make/model which works perfectly.

Message 9 of 11
alshatti82
Aspirant

thanks for your reply, it did work for after changing ethernet setting in my internet provider router (SKY). i changed the ethernet setting from Gigabit to fast ethernet and every things worked perfectly so far.  

Message 10 of 11
alshatti82
Aspirant

Thanks, the problem seems to be solved so far.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements