× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS208 with VoIP

Shovelsr
Aspirant

GS208 with VoIP

Hi,

I use a couple of GS208 (v2) switches on a Nighthawk R6000, in turn connected via the providers hub (bricked to MODEM mode only). Internally, my network is all Gigabit cabled, externally the service is a 250mbps FTTC.

My broadband/Telephony provider is about to switch all subscribers to VoIP and is issuing an adapter (i.e. gateway) to connect existing analogue/DECT phones to the network. However, my master phone location is some distance from my router on the other side of the building and one floor down from it. I would prefer to keep the master phone where it is.

The question I have is whether the GS208 has a QOS capable of supporting and prioritising VoIP services, or whether I should upgrade to a switch designed to handle VoIP.

At the same time, can the R6000 handle VoIP with the necessary QOS, or do I need to upgrade my router as well?

In neither manual can I find anything about VoIP, so my working assumption is that they are not capable and I will need to initally try it out, and if quality is poor, then upgrades will be necessary.

Any assistance or advice would be gratefully received.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

@schumaku there actually was an R6000. Very limited release and had the exact same specs as the R6100. I couldn't even find anything about it on netgears support site anymore. So not sure if it was rolled into the R6100 support info or what happened there. 

http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Netgear_R6000

@Shovelsr I'd try it before trying to adjust anything. The R6*** series or routers weren't recommend to use qos settings at speeds 250mbps+. So I'd try it first. If it has issues, then I'd try its QoS. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

What difference should it make deploying VoIP-aware switches if you have no VLAN-aware infrastructure, no routers taking any advantages if the VoIP traffic is pushed through a different internal queue and all the frames are going into the very same flat L2 network?

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

The GS208 is a pretty simple unmanaged switch so there isn't any settings/qos to manipulate. 

And the R6000 was a super basic AC router with only 100mbps ports. So if you have 250mbps speeds, you'd need to upgrade your router to realize your speeds. 

VOIP doesn't take a bunch of bandwidth. If you have 250mbps, you probably won't need any qos/prioritization unless you move a ton of data at a time. 

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@plemans wrote:

And the R6000 was a super basic AC router with only 100mbps ports.

There are about 30 different R6xx models. Few have only Fast Ethernet ports, while many have Gigabit Ethernet. Have I missed some detail here?

Message 4 of 7
Shovelsr
Aspirant

Sorry, I should have said R6000 series router. Its actually a 6800 with Gigabit Ethernet, and I get the full 250Mbps at my devices.

The question was really aimed at figuring whether the switch (and router) can manage VoIP with a decent quality - I know its unmanaged, but I cannot figure out if there is any prioritisation of voice within my network. I use some fairly bandwidth intensive applications on a couple of servers, and don't really want this traffic interfering with the quality of my telephony, which I need for various reasons. 

Thanks for the comments so far.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@schumaku there actually was an R6000. Very limited release and had the exact same specs as the R6100. I couldn't even find anything about it on netgears support site anymore. So not sure if it was rolled into the R6100 support info or what happened there. 

http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Netgear_R6000

@Shovelsr I'd try it before trying to adjust anything. The R6*** series or routers weren't recommend to use qos settings at speeds 250mbps+. So I'd try it first. If it has issues, then I'd try its QoS. 

Message 6 of 7
Shovelsr
Aspirant

Many thanks people. I'll go with the suck it and see method of determining whether the switches and router are good enough. If not, I have upgrades in mind.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements