× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS208v2 keeps disconnecting the devices attached to it

Net-Gear
Aspirant

GS208v2 keeps disconnecting the devices attached to it

I bought on of these to use in my home office and before that, my LAN was going from my wireless router to my desktop directly.

Everytime i connect that LAN cable to the switch and then a cable to the desktop, within 2 minutes, the desktop loses connection and it doesn't come back until i reboot the switch.

I'm using win 10, could that be an issue or is the unit itself outdated softwarewise? Not sure what else to do. I have tried to go on netgear's site to see if there might be a firmware but couldn't find anything.

Help

Model: GS208v2|Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Net-Gear
Aspirant

Re: GS208v2 keeps disconnecting the devices attached to it

@ElaineM wrote:

@Net-Gear What happened?

Hi Elaine,

I should have reported earlier. Well it was user error. I was using what looked like a LAN cord as you know it looks just ike a regular ethernet cable (it was a ptach cable). This one didn't say CAT 5 etc on it.

So i switched to one that was CAT5E and it worked. I have had continuous connection with the GS208 since,no issues at all.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
omicron_persei8
Luminary

There is no firmware for it as it's an unmanaged switch (also called dumb switch).
Can you confirm the following to help isolate the issue?
- when the connection is down, does the pc say network cable unplugged?
- do the port LEDs on the switch are lit? Still or flashing? (Both the port to the pc and the port to the router)
- does the pc still have an ip address?
- in case you use DHCP, can you try static IP?
Message 2 of 8
Net-Gear
Aspirant

@omicron_persei8 wrote:
There is no firmware for it as it's an unmanaged switch (also called dumb switch).
Can you confirm the following to help isolate the issue?
- when the connection is down, does the pc say network cable unplugged?
- do the port LEDs on the switch are lit? Still or flashing? (Both the port to the pc and the port to the router)
- does the pc still have an ip address?
- in case you use DHCP, can you try static IP?

When the conection goes down, theLAN icon botomright of the screen just has a red X on it

Are you suggesting I assign a static IP to the switch?

Message 3 of 8
omicron_persei8
Luminary

@Net-Gear wrote:
When the conection goes down, theLAN icon botomright of the screen just has a red X on it

Are you suggesting I assign a static IP to the switch?

No. As already explained, it's a dumb switch, you can't configure anything on it. It's just "you plug, it works".

I was suggesting you assign an IP address to the PC. You haven't replied to all the questions, but if the network icon has a red X on it, it means "cable unplugged", put on the mouse on it, and you'll see the tooltip.

I suggest you change the network cable.

If no difference, check the status of the LEDs on the switch while you see the red X on your PC. Depending on the exact status of the LEDs, the explanation can be different.

For example:

- The port of the switch where the PC (with the red X) is connected is lit OK while red X on the PC: strange one, probably an issue with the PC

- The port of the switch where the PC (with the red X) is connected is off while red X on the PC but other ports look OK: most likely a cable issue

- All the ports of the switch are on while red X on the PC, even ports where there is no cable connected: most likely that the switch is rebooting (after crash or power issue)

- All the ports of the switch are off while red X on the PC, even ports where there is a cable connected (and client is on): most likely that the switch has no power.

You also need to check the status of the power LED.

If you want the explanation, you will have to provide precise and complete information.

Message 4 of 8
Net-Gear
Aspirant

Currently, I only connect 2 other devices to it.

- When the PC disconnects from the switch, the switch still shows green while the compter is red X.

What i have done is restarted the switch and sometimes it fixes it sometimes i have to restart the whole PC

When 2 devices are connected to the switch , only 2 GREEN lights come on on the switch.

I'm going to attempt to see what the other devices does, if it is still connected, then it will be a PC problem.

What's strange is that if i connect the PC directly from the touter, it always works.

Message 5 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Net-Gear What happened?

Message 6 of 8
Net-Gear
Aspirant

@ElaineM wrote:

@Net-Gear What happened?

Hi Elaine,

I should have reported earlier. Well it was user error. I was using what looked like a LAN cord as you know it looks just ike a regular ethernet cable (it was a ptach cable). This one didn't say CAT 5 etc on it.

So i switched to one that was CAT5E and it worked. I have had continuous connection with the GS208 since,no issues at all.

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Net-Gear Thank you for the update!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements