GS308 8 port compatability

Dunbeag
Tutor

GS308 8 port compatability

I need to get WiFi from house to garden office. House is a fibre connection via BT. I need to run a cat6 outdoor cable to a wireless port in the office 25m away.

My question is will the gs308 support an incoming cat6 full copper ethernet cable and will this set up work to provide the WiFi signal in the office. Any advice appreciated as I am a novice including if I need a particular type of WiFi port at the office.

Thank you.
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: GS308 8 port compatability

first off the gs308 is a simple unmanaged switch. 

It should be able to hit the cat6 specs and be able to run a cable 100m without issues. (contingent on everything connected properly)

It doesn't have wireless so whatever you connected at the other end of that cable would need wireless. 

and your description is a bit vague.

Are you running the cable from the home to the office and having the switch in the office? and then connecting a wireless access point in the office? 

or having the switch in the home? 

not that it really matters and the switch doesn't care where its located as long as it recieves a strong enough signal. (25m shouldn't be an issue if wired correctly)

Current Setup: CM2000-> SXK30-> GS716v2-> RAXE500->
Message 2 of 7
Dunbeag
Tutor

Hi

Thanks. The BT router is in the home. I was planning to run the ethernet cable from there to the office into the switch and to attach a wireless booster (not sure exactly what type is best) to the switch. I hope to use my laptop on an ethernet connection and mobile phone wirelessly in the office.

Dave
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

sounds like it should work so long as the wireless booster will run hardwired in access point mode. 

Message 4 of 7
Dunbeag
Tutor

Hi again,

Do you know, would the netgear ex2700 wifi range extender be compatible at the offiice end if I plug it into the netgear switch? I guess I am asking, if I attach the ex2700 (office) to the router in my home via the cat6 cable and the switch, will the ex2700 do the job in theory at the office end?
Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

The EX2700 doesn't have access point mode. 

the EX3700 is dual band and does have access point mode. And its not much more than the EX2700. 

Message 6 of 7
Dunbeag
Tutor

Thank you for all your help. Much appreciated!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements