× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS308 Switch vs GS208 Switch Port Speed Issue

sjarman
Initiate

GS308 Switch vs GS208 Switch Port Speed Issue

I've recently purchased a GS308 to replace an ageing (but working) GS208 on my home entertainment unit. I have gigabit (900-1000Mbps) home internet, and ethernet ports throughout my apartment.

On the GS208 I was seeing these speeds (800-1000Mbps) on the PS5, Xbox Series X, etc.

After replacing everything into the GS308, I noticed that I was being limited to 100Mbps across the board. I assumed the wall port connection was being incorrectly identified as 100Mbps, tried resetting the switch, swapping the "wall connection" to a different switch port etc. No good - always seeing 100Mbps on the devices.

As I'd also replaced all the ethernet cables (Cat 6) I decided to try the GS208 and see if I had introduced some other issue. Immediately though I'm seeing everything back to full speed. Switch back to the GS308 and we're down to 100Mbps again on all devices.

Any thoughts on solutions?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
sjarman
Initiate

Re: GS308 Switch vs GS208 Switch Port Speed Issue

I've found a workaround to this issue that I've reproduced consistently. It's a little odd/unexpected though. Updating in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

If I power on the GS308 with the "wall port" (i.e. the connection back to the router) plugged in, it seems to set that port to 100Mbps as all other devices connected to the switch end up limited to 100Mbps.

If I power off the GS308, unplug the wall port from the switch (e.g. I have it in port 1 of the switch), then power on the switch, THEN plug the cable from the wall port back into the switch - it sets the port to 1Gbps and everything works fine.

Short version: in my case, you must power on the switch BEFORE connecting the ethernet cable coming from the router, or it sets the port to the wrong speed.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
sjarman
Initiate

I've found a workaround to this issue that I've reproduced consistently. It's a little odd/unexpected though. Updating in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

If I power on the GS308 with the "wall port" (i.e. the connection back to the router) plugged in, it seems to set that port to 100Mbps as all other devices connected to the switch end up limited to 100Mbps.

If I power off the GS308, unplug the wall port from the switch (e.g. I have it in port 1 of the switch), then power on the switch, THEN plug the cable from the wall port back into the switch - it sets the port to 1Gbps and everything works fine.

Short version: in my case, you must power on the switch BEFORE connecting the ethernet cable coming from the router, or it sets the port to the wrong speed.

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Interesting discovery - however, this should not make a difference. Something is wrong on either (or both) ends.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements