× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS308 Unmanaged Switch Port Speed

bobpak
Aspirant

GS308 Unmanaged Switch Port Speed

I have 5 ethernet connections to the subject switch and all attachments are working as expected.  However all port lights are

green indicating 1Gb capability.  Two of the attached devices are not capable of 1 Gb and reflected same with a yellow port light on the switch I replaced with the GS308.  Any thoughts on why the GS308 indicates all attacments are 1 Gb capable?

Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
DanioY
NETGEAR Expert

Hi, 

Sorry. It's our mistake. 

GS308 port LED supports single color only. So, the LED is alwary green when it's on.

The information in IG is correct, but it's wrong in switch front panel.

Also, it's not belong to S350 series. 

We have corrected it in October. 

View solution in original post

Model: GS308v3|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 27 of 27

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@bobpak wrote:

Any thoughts on why the GS308 indicates all attacments are 1 Gb capable?

It doesn't differentiate between 10MbE/100MbE/GbE - there is only one port LED on each port, just indicating Link (on) and Activity (flashing) according to the Gigabit Ethernet Switch GS308 Installation Guide 

Message 2 of 27
bobpak
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

@bobpak wrote:

Any thoughts on why the GS308 indicates all attacments are 1 Gb capable?

It doesn't differentiate between 10MbE/100MbE/GbE - there is only one port LED on each port, just indicating Link (on) and Activity (flashing) according to the Gigabit Ethernet Switch GS308 Installation Guide 

Pls see the attached picture below.  It clearly says that the GS308 should differentiate between 1 Gb and 100 Mb.

Bob

GS308 Label.JPG

Message 3 of 27
schumaku
Guru

Can't see your image yet (requires moderation) - however, all three GS308 versions I?m aware of have just one green port LED:

GS308 (v1)GS308 (v1)GS308v2 (GS308-200xxx)GS308v2 (GS308-200xxx)GS308v3 (GS308-300xxx)GS308v3 (GS308-300xxx)

Message 4 of 27
bobpak
Aspirant

The image I sent is a picture of the front of the GS308 with the following language above the 8 ports...

Green=1000M, Yellow=100M/10M, Blink=ACT

The 8 LEDs could include a green and yellow element.

Thoughts?

Message 5 of 27
schumaku
Guru

From what I see this looks like a S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch GS308T enclosure. This model has one LED only, and the manual says it should differentiate green and amber based on the link speed, indeed.

What exactly does the product label and printing show?

In case this is a GSxxxE or GSxxxT, you might want to try the NETGEAR Switch Discovery Tool (NSDT) - well possible there could be a firmware update available then.

Message 6 of 27
bobpak
Aspirant

The front panel of the switch says it is a GS308 S350 Series switch.  In the middle of the front panel it says...

Green=1000M, Yellow=100M/10M, Blink=Act.  The serial # on the box that the switch came in is 5UR1055HA37F1.

The box says it is model GS308-300PAS. When the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool is run it says "no switches found

on your local network using current connection".  In operation, the switch appears to be fully functional with the exception

of its potential ability to detect the speed capability of connected devices.  I cannot find any reference on the Netgear website

to an available firmware update for this device.  Thoughts?

Model: GS308v3|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 7 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@Marynel please chime in. Install guide and the printing on the product does provide conflicting information.

Message 8 of 27
NeedHelpWithNet
Aspirant

Any word on this?  I'm having the same problem.

Model: GS308|8 ports gigabits unmanaged switch
Message 9 of 27
CageyH
Aspirant

I have the same switch, with the same markings, and same LED. It will never flash yellow, as there are no yellow LEDs in the device.

Mine does not maintain my internet connection though, whereas if I install an unmanaged switch from a competitor, I have no issue. This is the second one I have tried. I just hope there won't be a third.

Message 10 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@bobpak wrote:

The front panel of the switch says it is a GS308 S350 Series switch.  In the middle of the front panel it says...

Green=1000M, Yellow=100M/10M, Blink=Act.  The serial # on the box that the switch came in is 5UR1055HA37F1.

The box says it is model GS308-300PAS.

I'm completely lost here. "GS308" and the model "GS308-300PAS" clearly indicate a non-managed switch.

S350 Series switches exist (as per www.netgear.com as well as per netgear.com/support/ just enter S350) as Smart Managed Pro variants only, so e.g. a GS308T S350 Series as GS308T-100NAS GS308TP-100PES ... (and some more) market specific package models.

Have checked a GS308-PES (the European variant) in a shop today, no word of "S350 Series" and with the IMHO correct description for a green LED only. The LED appears to be a plain green one, too.

So either there is a S350 chip series based variant available in other markets, or the manufacturer has mixed the silk screen printing and QA was on a Covid avoidance break in the home office.

@bobpak wrote:

When the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool is run it says "no switches found on your local network using current connection".  In operation, the switch appears to be fully functional with the exception of its potential ability to detect the speed capability of connected devices.  I cannot find any reference on the Netgear website to an available firmware update for this device.

At least this confirms it's unlikely a Smart Managed Plus/Pro version.

Message 11 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@BretD please assist here, too.

Message 12 of 27
CageyH
Aspirant

I have the European model. I an tell youbthat the picture on the box (green LED) is different from the case on the product inside the box.
Message 13 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@CageyH wrote:
I have the European model. I an tell youbthat the picture on the box (green LED) is different from the case on the product inside the box.

Thank you for the heads up. Different production lots are well possible. Confirm there is no reset button on the left front side, and it does not say GS308T on the right side, and the product label on the bottom.

Either way, for your switch effective connectivity issue, better create a new thread please. Please also consider requesting a replacement unit via your retailer or https://my.netgear.com/ -> My Support -> Replace my defective product.

Message 14 of 27
CageyH
Aspirant

There is no reset switch, nor is there any mention of the GS308T.

I have already opened a case. An interesting experience, as I was obliged to do it in French.

Shame there is no option for English, for us foreigners.

Message 15 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@CageyH wrote:

I have already opened a case. An interesting experience, as I was obliged to do it in French.

Shame there is no option for English, for us foreigners.

Especially difficult because of the IT languge in French (or Hungarian) is very unique.

But then, both via https://my.netgear.com/ or the short cut via https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx works in many different languages. Curious what entry you had choosen so there was no selection?

myNetgear.com - Contact Support.PNGNetgear Support Contact - after county selection.PNG

Message 16 of 27
CageyH
Aspirant

The first question is "What country are you from?"

To get the best support, I have to select France. I managed to get my case opened etc. so obviously my french is better than I thought.

Anyway, this is way off topic, so I shall stop commenting on this.

I will be interested to know why the case is different, but I suspect it is just down to manufacturing costs.

Message 17 of 27
schumaku
Guru

Interesting, i had selected France and was able to continue in English. Was just curious because I know Netgear is working on some updated support channels, thus off-topic of course.

You mentioned that the network connection gets lost on top of the subject unclear port speed LED and information on the device while another vendor switch works fine, so that's another issue, too. Let us know on how your support case will progress please.

Message 18 of 27
CageyH
Aspirant

I continued in English all the way up to the phone call, and there was no language option.

I have uploaded my receipts, as this is my second unit that does not work, when brand new, just out of the box.

I did say I did not want a third one - but this is well off topic.

I will post an update on the outcome of my case, after I see what those nice people at Netgear have to say.

I personally don't like the three months support when there is a hardware issue. I should be able to open an RMA without having to phone someone at a cost to me. I hope Netgear take this into account, as this has put me off purchasing any of their products in future.

Message 19 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@CageyH wrote:

I personally don't like the three months support when there is a hardware issue. I should be able to open an RMA without having to phone someone at a cost to me.

Two complete different processes. You don't have to buy any support or service contract to get your broken hardware replaced.

You can file an RMA request online. Netgear requires a short phone call (number provided as part of the ticket assigned, local of free call usually, not a charged business number) for a brief check of the device. There is no service fee or the like charged. This process is available for the complete warranty time, and not limited to the installation and support time window. This process applies to all switches, three years (except of China) for this switch class, for the Web/Smart/Full managed switches until end-of-sales plus five year to EoL.

Absolute fair business!

Message 20 of 27
CageyH
Aspirant

Thanks for the information.
I will soon see if it was free on my next phone bill, and will of course confirm.
Message 21 of 27
schumaku
Guru

I have not said "free" - local rate or similar lowest business charge like moderately priced numbers (some cents to about 15 cents per minute) in the 081x and 082x ranges, so neither 0800 or 0805 "numéros verts" nor premium rated  "Audiotel" 089x.

Message 22 of 27
CageyH
Aspirant

As long as it is not a premium rate number, I am happy.

I don't expect it to be free.

The help desk was really helpful, now I am waiting for a decision of what they are going to do.

Message 23 of 27
CageyH
Aspirant

Those very nice people at Netgear have authorised an RMA, and will send me out another GS308V3.

I don't want another one, as I have had two brand new ones that don't work out of the box.

I guess a new thread is called for.

Message 24 of 27
bobpak
Aspirant

Pls see the initial posts I made and responses.  The current posts have completely drifted away from the issue.  Can someone pls respond to the original issue...should I expect this switch to identify 100Mb vs 1Gb connections per the labeling on the front of the panel above

the ethernet ports or has the case been mislabeled?

Model: GS308|8 ports gigabits unmanaged switch
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements