× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS308v3 to Modem connection problem

Mikeyb0715
Initiate

GS308v3 to Modem connection problem

Hey everyone and anyone,

Just recently bought a Gs308v3 switch to help with extending port availability during these crazy times. I connected into port 1 the cable from my router and in port 2 connected my MacBook. Everything works in regards to that, I have internet connectivity to the MacBook. I tried connecting into port 3 another MacBook and an iMac to port 4. Ports 3 through 8 don’t have internet connectivity.
Any suggestions as to why? I’d assume that it would be defective if I didn’t have any internet connectivity when connecting to any port but it seems like something might be off in regards to the other ports.
Any help is appreciated!
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS308v3 to Modem connection problem

Just wanted to check if it was the modem (where ISP assign only one IP typically - so other devices can't access the Internet). Easy to make a mistake wit that many devices and cables. Happy you figured out the connection mishap!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

What now - is that device before ... a modem or a router?

What IP address does that MacBook receive? An RFC1918 private address like 192.168.x.y, 172.2x.y.z, 10.a.b.c - or a public IP address (or again a CGN IP address 100.64.c.d)?

Message 2 of 4
Mikeyb0715
Initiate

Thanks for the reply, I was a dummy and connected it to a modem first when i should've been connecting to the router.  

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Just wanted to check if it was the modem (where ISP assign only one IP typically - so other devices can't access the Internet). Easy to make a mistake wit that many devices and cables. Happy you figured out the connection mishap!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements