× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS316 not connecting at 1000Mbps

waygar
Initiate

GS316 not connecting at 1000Mbps

I have a brand new GS316 16 port unmanaged switch. It has never shown display status of 2 lights indicating a 1000Mbps connection. All my cables are Cat 6. PC's are configured for 1Gbps but the GS316 only displays a single left hand light on each port connected to a 1Gbps connected device. Have tried isolating router from switch and just connecting a single PC to the switch with the same result. Any suggestions? There are no loops.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

have you tried moving the switch right next to the pc and testing with a good quality cable.

Maybe the ends or runs are bad that are connecting the pc/switch. 

Message 2 of 6
waygar
Initiate

Yes I have used both a brand new 2 m Cat 6 cable and a Cat6a with the same result.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

the manual says that if both lights are lit its gigabit. But it wouldn't be the first time a manual was wrong. Did you actually test the speeds to see what its connecting at? 

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

What GbE adapters are installed on these PCs? Decent drivers in place?

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@waygar 

The switch and PC negotiate the speed of their link. It would be best to learn the actual negotiated speed from the information provided by the PC. If it is 100 Mbps, I would agree that the physical connection is faulty. I have run into several situations like this and changing the cable, pushing the plug harder or using a different port resolved the issue.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements