× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS324 Lights On but nothing works

GS324 Lights On but nothing works

Hi, I have purchased this switch and everything was working fine however now nothing works.  The lights are on but okay doesn't switch any traffic.  It's still within hardware warranty, I was on the phone with Netgear support but they're telling me they won't send me a replacement because it's been longer than 90 days since I bought it (it's been since March so 180'ish days).  They want me to spend $50 on extended phone support for a $80 switch.  He's telling me a phone technician will troubleshoot the software and the possibly determine it's a hardware failure and get me a replacement.  Here's the thing... it's an unmanaged switch so how are we supposed to troubleshoot the software?  It's a HARDWARE problem please send me a replacement.  Have you all dealt with this?  Literally makes no sense.  Is there any way I can get my replacement without paying the $50?  My case number is 43446974.

Model: GS324|24 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS324 Lights On but nothing works

Not very difficult.

Can't believe they continue providing incorrect information to the customers.

With every update of a support case, you receive an E-Mail including a link where you can reply. Was u der the impression there is a button under the open case, too.

Screenshot_20200925-154012.png

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@benzconsultant wrote:

It's still within hardware warranty, I was on the phone with Netgear support but they're telling me they won't send me a replacement because it's been longer than 90 days since I bought it (it's been since March so 180'ish days).  They want me to spend $50 on extended phone support for a $80 switch. 

Completely wrong handling by the support person. In Europe for example there is a three year hardware warranty on these switches (for the first buyer, product registration mandatory, upload of original invoice can be required).

@benzconsultant wrote:

He's telling me a phone technician will troubleshoot the software and the possibly determine it's a hardware failure and get me a replacement.

On RMA requests, Netgear does indeed a troubleshoot session. On this switch class, this will be a short thing as you correctly assume.

@Christian_R please.

Message 2 of 9

Yeah it has a 3 year warranty on it.  I just find it so ridiculous that he was telling me I needed to spend the $50 for "90 days extended phone support" just for me to get passed on to a "software technician" who will go through troubleshooting steps with me, and then most likely determine it's a hardware failure.  If this were a managed switch I would probably accept that but as I said before it is UNMANAGED.  It's a dumb switch.  Let me ship it back to you, you look at it, and if I'm telling the truth send me a new one.  

This was the link he emailed me with "troubleshooting steps".  This consists of: 1- power cycling the device (did multiple times) 2- checking that the cables are properly connected (did that) and 3- update to latest firmware (again, it's an unmanaged switch so that's not happening)

https://kb.netgear.com/24309/I-recently-lost-my-internet-connection-how-do-I-get-my-connection-back

Is there really nothing I can do here?

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

The support person must have mistaken your switch issue with a router issue - the KB entry does apply to Netgear consumer routers and the like only.

@benzconsultant wrote:

Is there really nothing I can do here?

Is your ticket associated to your Netgear account? Check https://my.netgear.com/ -> My Support

If the ticket is not visible there, I would not hesitate to open a new ticket via https://my.netgear.com/ -> My Support -> Contact Support -> Replace my defective product  and add a note that you had not been helped well on the other case (w. ticket number). 

Subsequent, you will receive a phone number to call, where a short Q&A will be done with a check before the RMA is issued will be about that style, maximum three questions - as there is really not much to check on your switch model. 

Message 4 of 9

Appreciate your reply.  I told the support person multiple times this was an unmanaged switch but perhaps he didn't know what that meant.  My ticket is associated with my netgear account.  I did receive an email with a phone number but now that I'm thinking about it I called a support number from the website here.  The phone number in the email is different so let me call that.  I'll keep you updated.

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

You should be able reply in the online system, too. Much easier than wasting time in the phone waiting line.

Message 6 of 9

So unfortunately even though the number on the email was different it dialed to the same line.  I talked to another technician and basically got the same answer.  I wasn't seeing where you said I could respond online?  Why is this so difficult.

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Not very difficult.

Can't believe they continue providing incorrect information to the customers.

With every update of a support case, you receive an E-Mail including a link where you can reply. Was u der the impression there is a button under the open case, too.

Screenshot_20200925-154012.png

Message 8 of 9

I ended up calling a magical 5th time and got a support technician that let me RMA it.  So thanks for all your assisstance!  

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements