× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS524T power failure causes loss of switching

tippers1
Aspirant

GS524T power failure causes loss of switching

Hi,

I have a GS524T switch attached to an APC UPS but in the event of the mains power being lost and the UPS battery kicking in, the switch sometimes stops working and only starts again when the power cord is unplugged and plugged back in.

The switch is at least 6 years old so I guess it requires replacing?  The mains power is not great at this site so the UPS does kick in on average two or three times per week so we need a reliable switch to handle this.  Can anyone suggest a fix for the existing unit or a new more reliable alternative?

Thanks

Chris

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS524T power failure causes loss of switching

Hi tippers1,

I recommend you the JGS524v2 (v means version) as a replacement for the GS524T.  For comparison, as per the data sheet of the JGS524v2, it has a power consumption of 17.9W compared to the GS724T which has a power consumption of 70W.  

Here are the links below of the data sheet of the JGS524 and GS524T respectively for your review:

JGS524v2 Data Sheet

GS524T Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tippers1,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Is this the only GS524T switch you have that experiences the issue?  If you happen to have another GS524T, kindly try to attach the same APC UPS then check if same problem will occur.  

b. Have you tried using another UPS (any brand/model)  to isolate the problem?

c. Have you tried using another power cable of the GS524T switch?

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
tippers1
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The switch was connected to the UPS via a cabinet extension lead, so I have now connected it directly to the UPS outlet to see if this helps.

I don't have another UPS or switch to test and no other switches or equipment are affected.

The fans in the switch are noisy and due to the age of the unit I think the solution is probably to replace it.  Can you suggest a suitable alternative please?

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tippers1,

I recommend you the JGS524v2 (v means version) as a replacement for the GS524T.  For comparison, as per the data sheet of the JGS524v2, it has a power consumption of 17.9W compared to the GS724T which has a power consumption of 70W.  

Here are the links below of the data sheet of the JGS524 and GS524T respectively for your review:

JGS524v2 Data Sheet

GS524T Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements