× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS605v4 issues

Craddman
Tutor

GS605v4 issues

I have a GS605 switch that I have used sucessfully for the past few years. It was previously hooked up in a play room with an XBox, Wii & Moxi (DVR) connected. We recently moved so I obviously disconnected everything and boxed up. When I hooked it back up - I kept getting errors on my DVR. Seemingly the connection would be there then it would go off. I used a different switch (GS105) and everything works fine. Now I have a need for another switch in a different part of the house so I decided to try to use this switch again (what's the old saying about the definition of insanity...).

Switches rarely go bad right?

Same problem - seems like I have a connection at one minute then it's gone or I have a connection at one port but not the other. The individual components work fine when directly connected so I'm pretty sure the cableing isn't an issue (I ran & terminated my own Cat 6 cables). At our old house it was all Cat 5 - but that wouldn't make a difference would it?

Considering the problem went away when I used a different switch (first location) and each component works when directly connected make me think it's a bad switch - any other issues anyone can think of? The only thing I didn't try was moving the GS105 to this location but the GS105 solved the issue in the originall location so I assume it would here as well almost confirming that it's a switch issue.

A little bit about my network - Motorola Surfboard cable modem, Netgear WNDR3400 wireless router, Cat 6 cables running to switch Cat 5 patch cables to individual components (note: switched patch cable  to make sure I didn't have a bad cable - I didn't) - less than 50' run from router to switch, router sits right next to modem. Switches aren't daisy chained.

Any ideas or just chalk it up as a bad switch?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Craddman, 

Welcome to the community! 

You pretty much have isolated you issue and pointed our that whenever you use the GS605 it gives you a bunch or errors/issue. These model should not really affect your network unless they are bad, mostly caused by a bad power supply or a bad unit. You know that the GS605 is a passthrough unit only and there is not much to troubleshoot on. You can test it out by using a different power supply if you have one, or swap it to the location of the GS105. If this would not make any difference,we'll call it a bust. 

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Craddman, 

Welcome to the community! 

You pretty much have isolated you issue and pointed our that whenever you use the GS605 it gives you a bunch or errors/issue. These model should not really affect your network unless they are bad, mostly caused by a bad power supply or a bad unit. You know that the GS605 is a passthrough unit only and there is not much to troubleshoot on. You can test it out by using a different power supply if you have one, or swap it to the location of the GS105. If this would not make any difference,we'll call it a bust. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Craddman,

We just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further inquiries.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
Craddman
Tutor

I replaced the switch and the problem went away so that would indicate it was an issue with the switch. I just thought the problem popping up when it did and the fact that I (incorrectly) thought that switches rarely go bad, was a bit suspect. Thanks for the assistance. Most of my networking gear is Netgear so I may be back with other questions/issues.

Message 4 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Craddman,

Thank you for the update. They do rarely go bad but still, there are some instances that they do. Feel free to post a new topic, the community is happy to help. 

Thanks,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements