× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GSS116E - Firmware download file gone?

far1
Aspirant

GSS116E - Firmware download file gone?

Hi All,

The firmware file for the GSS116E file doesn't appear to be there.  If I have the correct link it should have been here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GSS116E.aspx#ProSAFE%20Plus%20Configuration%20Utility%20v2.7... 

But there is only Switch discovery software, plus the Prosafe plus configuration utility - which allows you to update the firmware, but only if you have a file - just can't find the file..

Am I missing something?  Thanks for any help

Far

Model: GSS116E|ProSafe 16 ports gigabits Click switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GSS116E - Firmware download file gone?

The firmware (and mandatory bootloader) updates for various GSS models had been revoked because to many customers had upgrade problems, leading to inop switches. @YeZ ?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The firmware (and mandatory bootloader) updates for various GSS models had been revoked because to many customers had upgrade problems, leading to inop switches. @YeZ ?

Message 2 of 4
far1
Aspirant

Oh.  Thanks for the response -but wish it wasn't that..

I remember the upgrade years ago being vaguely fiddly in that it was 2 parts, but the instructions were clear and there were no problems.

It's sad because some users maybe can't be bothered to RT*M - everyone else ends up with an unpatched/upgraded product 😞

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Yes, there was a series of update problems around 2017 or 18. These days, people ended with inop products - what is fatal for most usage. It's not just the "not updated" firmware. That was the reason I made some noise.

Trouble today we have a much higher customer awarenes for vulnerability fixes. Adding difficulty is that the utility is EoL, not reliable to install and/or operate (experienced tech users use different/newer capturing driver used for the NSDP protocol "injection"). More complexity comes for users not operating Windows systems at all. 

(speaking as a user - I'm not Netgear)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements