× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Gigabit Switch - Only One Port at a Time

FLINTRON
Aspirant

Gigabit Switch - Only One Port at a Time

Looking to understand what configuration issue I am having.  I have a CM500V modem feeding into my GS116v2 switch but only one port works at a time.  Therefore, I have lit up one port into a mesh WiFi network which as sufficied but I would like to also have some other devices directly connected into CAT5 ports in other areas of the house.  Which means I need the switch to actually light up other ports.  Any insights in configuration settings would be great.  I assume it is with the Netgear configs vs my intertnet service provider.

Model: CM500V|Cable Modem for Internet & Voice–DOCSIS 3.0, GS116v2|16-port Gigabit Switch 10/100/1000 Mbps
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Gigabit Switch - Only One Port at a Time

@FLINTRON wrote:

I have a CM500V modem feeding into my GS116v2 switch but only  ...  I assume it is with the Netgear configs vs my intertnet service provider.

Afraid no. A cable modem does issue only one (typically public) IP address [that's an ISP limitation - but almost standard]. Adding a switch alone does not help. The problem is the lack of a NAT router in your set-up, which does handle a local network for LAN and WIFi, providing a private LAN subnet to multiple local devices, and the related Many-to-one NAT.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 3
FLINTRON
Aspirant

Re: Gigabit Switch - Only One Port at a Time

Roger that.  Appreciate the response and the insights.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements