× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to turn off PoE on GS308PP and GS305PP switches

jlp00
Aspirant

How to turn off PoE on GS308PP and GS305PP switches

This is about the GS308PP (and GS305PP), not GS308P, but the form did not have GS308PP to select.

Unde the Selection Location field on the form, it defaulted to Nighthawk WiFi Routers.  This is not about Nighthawak routers.

How do I turn off PoE (Power over Ethernet) on the GS308PP for all or some of the ports?

I downloaded the Insight app onto my iPhone, connected my iPhone to the GS308PP switch with an ethernet cable, via a Belkin ethernet adapter.  But the Insight app could not detect the GS308PP, GS305PP or any of the devices on my network.

What am I doing wrong with the Insight app?  How can I turn off the PoE on these Netgear switches?

Model: GS308P|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit switch with 4 ports PoE
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: How to turn off PoE on GS308PP and GS305PP switches

Both the GS305PP Installation Guide and GS308PP Installation Guide - all unmanaged switches - show the Insight App for the product registration only:

Insight registration unmanaged switches.PNG

"Note: Because this is an unmanaged switch, you cannot configure or manage it in NETGEAR Insight."

As these are IEEE 802.3af and IEEE 802.3at compliant PoE/PoE+ devices, there is no need to turn off PoE. Just like the Ethernet link, PoE is negotiated between the powered device (PD) and the power source equipment (PSE, the switch PoE port here) - so until requested by the device connected there is no power supplied.

Message 2 of 4
jlp00
Aspirant

Thank you @schumaku for your reply.

I plug my iPhone and iPad into my GS308PP switch, via Belkin's Ethernet PoE adapter.  Whenever I need internet, I plug in my device to the switch, which is most of the time.  (I don't like using Wi-Fi because of the health risks.)  This means I'm charging my devices most of them.  But recently, my iPhone screen bulged outwards because the battery swelled.  Apple told me that I should not be charging my devices all the time and that I should let it discharge to 20%.  So, I was wondering how I can turn off the PoE once in a while.  Is this a possibility?

Model: GS308|8 ports gigabits unmanaged switch
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Again, not with such a non-manageable PoE switch.

What I don't know however is if these PoE adapters continue working without PoE power. This is something you need bro figure out with the vendor. Or try this: If the adapters work (mobile device powered) while connected to a non-PoE LAN port, for example direct on your router you know that looking for a PoE switch allowing PoE scheduling (but not bringing down the Ethernet ports!) can be considered.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements