Is there a way to limit which machines on my network can see the internet?

KenTanker0us1
Aspirant

Is there a way to limit which machines on my network can see the internet?

Hello friends, title says it all. Right now every machine on my small LAN can see the internet. Are there any good approaches to restricting which machines can communicate with it?

Thanks very much for any good ideas.

Message 1 of 5
Carl_z
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Is there a way to limit which machines on my network can see the internet?

Hi KenTanker0us1

Welcome to the community,

I think the function of  ACL can meet your needs.

About how to deploy ACL  you can refer to this "https://kb.netgear.com/24705/How-do-I-use-the-ACL-Wizard-on-a-smart-switch"

Hope it helps

Thanks

Carl

Netgear Employee

Message 2 of 5
KenTanker0us1
Aspirant

Many thanks, Carl. Can you recommend a switch for a small LAN like mine? 8-10 pc's running Win7 Pro.

Thanks very much for any and all advice.d

best,

Ken

Message 3 of 5
Carl_z
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Ken,

I known some kinds of switches such as Smart3300,MS510 can all meet you needs, but I am not sure it is best for you.

So can you please open a new post, and provide more information about your needs . Such as a basic list of function you wanted.(eg.ACL,QOS,LAG). Then there would be someone give you more suggestion

Thanks

Carl

Message 4 of 5
KenTanker0us1
Aspirant

Hey Carl, thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

Sure, I can start a new post if you think that's best. My needs are quite simple, though. I'm exploring methods for a small LAN (5-10 machines) where I could restrict which machines have access to the internet. Maintaining the ability to talk to each other, but being able to switch internet access on/off. That's it, really. But I'm rather ignorant about this so I have no idea if it would be that simple.

So if you think it's best to start a new post, I will do it and repeat my thanks for your advice. I'll have a look at the switches you mentioned.

Thanks very much,

best,

Ken

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements