× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

JGS516 switch and port trunking with QNAP NAS?

JVK1
Aspirant

JGS516 switch and port trunking with QNAP NAS?

I have a QNAP TS-453Be NAS with two ethernet ports, and I'd like to configure it for port trunking to combine them for faster access speed. 

I have the JGS516 unmanaged switch. From what I've seen on this board it looks like port trunking may not be possible but I'd like confirmation if anyone knows for sure. The JGS516PE is listed as a model that can do a manual static LAG but that's obviously not the same model as mine. I fear it's not possible since I can't configure anything on the switch.

TIA!

Link to QNAP article that lists the accepted for trunking modes:
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/set-port-trunking-on-your-qnap-nas-to-increase-the-b...

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: JGS516 switch and port trunking with QNAP NAS?

@JVK1 wrote:

Link to QNAP article that lists the accepted for trunking modes:
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/set-port-trunking-on-your-qnap-nas-to-increase-the-b...

No, this is not a list of accepted modes. Please carefully re-read starting from the title clearly stating "Set Port Trunking on your QNAP NAS to increase the bandwidth via 802.3ad protocol." title - it's an example for link between QNAP NAS and Smart Managed Managed Switches for switches supporting 802.3ad aka LACP LAG.

A much better example for this use case - shown with an unmanaged QNAP switch as an example, applicable to virtually any unmanaged switch in the market - would be Configuring Port Trunking with a QNAP Unmanaged Switch and a QNAP NAS 

We did everything with QNAP QTS to keep things transparent and simple as possible. There is a LOT of information provided while initially configuring a LAG. This includes comprehensive information when the possible LAG settings are listed.

QTS generl switch config options.png

Said that, for an unmanaged switch, the ubiquitous selection is General Switch, and Balance-alb, perfect for an unmanaged switch like the JGS516.

The network trunking modes like balance-tlb and balance-alb are described in the QNAP QTS Documentation -> Network & Virtual Switch -> How to use and set up your Network & Virtual switch? 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements