× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NO poe output on JGS513PE

Eoinpearson
Aspirant

NO poe output on JGS513PE

Ive just installed this and all works fine except the POE ports do not seem to output power to a Ubiquite Infinit AC wireless access point which works fine when it is locally powered but the poe switches just wont output power.  They work fine as regular data ports as the broadband router works fine when in a poe port as its not looking for power.  How can i test if POE ports are outputting power if it wont power my ubiquity WAP which does work when powered with its own power supply?

Model: JGS516v2|16-Port 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Eoinpearson
Aspirant

Re: NO poe output on JGS513PE

Hi John - thanks for that really useful info.  Yes its the ubiquiti Unifi AP AC LR WAP.  I bought it specifically as i did not have power where the dishes were being situated.  Its a bit of a con advertising it as a POE WAP as its not if you have to use any external power supply.  I bought the JGS516PE specifically for the 3 Unifi's around the house so those POE ports are not needed now.  In the Ubiquity install guide  it says to a Unifi Switch will power it off one of their POE ports but all else requires the Gigabit PoE adapter!!!! Anyway i got around it by running an ethernet cable from my netgear switch to the supplied Ubiquiti PoE adaptor which i placed in my comms cuboard near the switch and then the other port i plugged in the cable running to the Infiiti WAP 30 metres away and it worked.  Effectively just used power point in comms corner rather than beside the WAP location.  Ok so now i have a nice switch with 8 POE ports not being used.  At least its not the switch (at the moment).

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
johngm
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure from your message which Ubiquiti access point you have but the AC-Lite and AC-LR do not support the industry standard PoE.  To keep costs down Ubiquiti just put a simple power circuit into those access points.  The JGS516PE supports the IEEE 802.3 PoE standard by which the switch will look for a request for power and then provide the specific amount requested.   Since the low-end Ubiquiti products are simple power circuits they never request power so the JGS516PE doesn't know to provide it.   As far as I know Ubiquiti is the only wifi provider that did this short cut.

There is a relatively low cost solution if you want to power the access points using just the ethernet cable.   

If you have a power supply with a standard DC connector you can use this $6 part to "inject" passive PoE in at the switch end of the ethernet cable (this injector plugs into the switch, then the enet cable plugs into it and you power it with a standard powersupply like the one that came with your access point.)

https://www.amazon.com/AIR802-POEPASS-01-Injector-Splitter-Connector/dp/B003DLJNWE

Message 2 of 4
Eoinpearson
Aspirant

Hi John - thanks for that really useful info.  Yes its the ubiquiti Unifi AP AC LR WAP.  I bought it specifically as i did not have power where the dishes were being situated.  Its a bit of a con advertising it as a POE WAP as its not if you have to use any external power supply.  I bought the JGS516PE specifically for the 3 Unifi's around the house so those POE ports are not needed now.  In the Ubiquity install guide  it says to a Unifi Switch will power it off one of their POE ports but all else requires the Gigabit PoE adapter!!!! Anyway i got around it by running an ethernet cable from my netgear switch to the supplied Ubiquiti PoE adaptor which i placed in my comms cuboard near the switch and then the other port i plugged in the cable running to the Infiiti WAP 30 metres away and it worked.  Effectively just used power point in comms corner rather than beside the WAP location.  Ok so now i have a nice switch with 8 POE ports not being used.  At least its not the switch (at the moment).

Message 3 of 4
johngm
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I am glad you sorted it out and thanks for sharing your solution which should help others in a similar situation.

John

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements