× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need signal boost-hard line direct connection

JimPerry
Tutor

Need signal boost-hard line direct connection

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I have laid a direct burial Cat 6 cable between my home and shop. The total cable lenght ended up being > 100m (not a lot more). I have plugged the cable into my modem/router and the shop computer. The green and yellow lights illuminate on the computer port but I am getting no internet (and the network shows up as "unknown.") A neighbor did much the same thing with about the same run. He has a Netgear 5605v5 switch about halfway down the run. Will installing a similar switch boost the signal strength for me to het me internet access?

Model: GS605v5|Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JimPerry
Tutor

Re: Need signal boost-hard line direct connection

Appreciate the advice. I wired the cable ends correctly. Interestingly, I used a Cat 5 connector on one end before buying those specifically made for heavier Cat 6.The Cat 6  ends allow the wire to be pushed through  (and protrude) making it easier to be sure they are correctly (T568b). But cutting the protruding ends off flush with the front or the connector is difficult. I ended up using a Dremel tool. When it finally locked into place in the computer and I did the trouble-shooting for no Internet I found something was not enabled. Once fixed,I have Internet in the shop.

My goal was two-fold: to be able to use a computer for Internet research within the shop and also to install a camera so I can have some degree of security within it in  my absence.

Now on to get a router and camera for the later. I am not going to be streaming video or gaming or anything fancy, so I don't need a $250 router! Plus we are on DSL so the speed is what is considered rudimentary. (Right now, my wireless laptop is getting download at 7.1Mbps, upload 0.75,my wife's hard-wired tower 7.82/0.87.)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hi,

First thing I would strongly suggest is testing (low level, DC logic) the wiring, especially the pairing. On the physical wires, it's possible the link signals are going through even if the pairing isn't correct. This could lead to kind of low or high-error rates prohibiting a reliable Ethernet communication.

Typical reason why a computer shows no Internet and unknown network is that the computer does not get an IP config over the link, typically from the router DHCP server.

Does a computer get a valid/workable IP address on your network, or is this probably a router port predefined e.g. for an IPTV set-top box?

I would suggest to test configuring the computer (just as a test) manually to an IP address (known free - check before ...) on your network iP subnetwork. for the default gateway and the IP addresses compare to another computer on the network.

Of course, you can always add a switch to split a to long (or to long) network connection into two physical network segments. 

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

like @schumaku says, check the cables. If you wired the ends of the cable yourself, i'd especially check them. I've many times seen a sketchy end on a cable cause issues. 

Another thing to try is if you have a switch sitting around is to plug the end in the shop into the switch and then connect your computer to the switch. I've also seen people wire cables as a crossover cable because they followed the wrong guide. 

Message 3 of 7
JimPerry
Tutor

Appreciate the advice. I wired the cable ends correctly. Interestingly, I used a Cat 5 connector on one end before buying those specifically made for heavier Cat 6.The Cat 6  ends allow the wire to be pushed through  (and protrude) making it easier to be sure they are correctly (T568b). But cutting the protruding ends off flush with the front or the connector is difficult. I ended up using a Dremel tool. When it finally locked into place in the computer and I did the trouble-shooting for no Internet I found something was not enabled. Once fixed,I have Internet in the shop.

My goal was two-fold: to be able to use a computer for Internet research within the shop and also to install a camera so I can have some degree of security within it in  my absence.

Now on to get a router and camera for the later. I am not going to be streaming video or gaming or anything fancy, so I don't need a $250 router! Plus we are on DSL so the speed is what is considered rudimentary. (Right now, my wireless laptop is getting download at 7.1Mbps, upload 0.75,my wife's hard-wired tower 7.82/0.87.)

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

From my experience, it's much easier to install these "heavy" style cables to (female) RJ45 modules intended for wall or rack mount blocks, instead of squeezing onto a simple connector intended for patch cable usage.

Hard to suggest a solution for a router, depends a little bit where you are located. ISPs often offering low or contract bound CPEs. In SOHO networks, we tend to install xDSL G.fast modem-only devices, and terminate the encapsulation (like PPPoE,if any) on a whatever Ethernet router on the Internet side for providing NAT and DHCP, and then install good wireless access points where WiFi is _really_ required.  as Netgear has almost ceased the xDSL modem and router market, I would look elsewhere - e.g. with ZyXEL for example.

Last but not least, I would challenge your ISP or telephone company if there is a chance or a plan to boost your Internet connection towards VDSL2RE, VDSL2, or G.Fast.... but all this requires to bring their infrastructure nearer to your home. In some areas the former fixed line providers are migrating copper lines to 4G/5G "mobile" networks, offering much better services in speed, sometimes also reliability.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anytime! 

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 5 of 7
JimPerry
Tutor

Kurt, thank you for the reply, There are some many acronymns that it makes my head spin. Remember, you're writing to a 'regular person' not a techie.

CPE = ?

SOHO = ?

xDSL G.fast modem = ?

PPPoE =?

NAT = ?

DHCP = ?

VDSL2RE, VDSL2, or G.Fast = ?

You can educate me.

jim

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

CPE = Cusomer premise equipment, this is what the ISPs install or offer for installation at your place.

SOHO = small office and home office envirinments

xDSL G.fast modem = xDSL does decribe the common technologies ISP use on the classic two wire telepone line, the Modem is translating the signals to computer terms e.g. to an ethernet link. G.Fast is the latest common tech available in the christian markets, it allows here in Switzerland some 0.5 Gb/s (~510..520 Mb/s) down, and about 120 Mb/s up where no fiber is available.

PPPoE = encapsulation protocol commonly used on xDSL (ADSL, ADSL2, VDSL, and thier RE (reach extended) variants 

NAT = Network address translation, part of the router functionality, allowing to run a private lAN and IP subnet like the common 192.168.1.0/24 one at home and talk to the Internet on a public address.

DHCP = dynamic host config protocol - this is the software handing out your computer, mobile, tablet an IP configuration typically.

VDSL2RE, VDSL2, or G.Fast = roughly explained above already

The message is this. Before going out and buy a router, a modem, a modem-router combo - talk to the ISP what is feasible and what you should look for. They might offer you one of their own branded devices for fre or a low charge - which does perfectly work with your connection.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements