× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear FS116 Switch not connecting

Bret4312
Aspirant

Netgear FS116 Switch not connecting

Hi All;

Tonight i traded in my older modem (ISP provided) which was connected to a D-Link router then to the Netgear FS116 switch.  The new modem/router replaces both those and is a Cisco DPC3848V.

I can connect directly to the Cisco for internet and its WiFi also works fine.  Problem is that I cannot connect from the Cisco through the Netgear switch box and up to my ethernet connected desktop in another room.  Same thing with my laptop when i connect via another ethernet conection. The Netgear just doesnt seem to let it through.

Tech help from the ISP worked with me for a while determining no issue with theor Cisco modem/router and this post is testament to that but now my household wired network is not functioning.

Any suggestions from the the kind and smart folks here would be very much appreciated before I have to un-do the whole thing with my ISP.

Many thanks

Bret

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear FS116 Switch not connecting

Hi @Bret4312,

@Bret4312 wrote:
"I see" said the blind man.

Thanks Dane - you're a good man. I will try my luck with Netgear support. Of course, I have no invoice.

In the absence of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the FS116, alternatively you may provide the following:

1. An e-mail from the reseller for confirmation of sale.
2. Credit card statement showing the purchase of the device.

@Bret4312 wrote:

Presuming these machines have a life and this is not uncommon, would you expect the simple act of an unplug/plug would kill the unit? It worked fine in the moments up to that act.

For me, a simple act of an unplug/plug should not cause the switch to be faulty.  Unless, there is really a problem or fault with the hardware itself or with the power adapter that is being used with the switch.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Comunity Team

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Bret4312,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Let us isolate the problem. Kindly answer the questions below:

a. If the Cisco modem/router is directly connected to the FS116 then if you connect a PC directly to the FS116, are you able to get a valid IP address on the PC?

b. What is the behavior of the LED lights of the FS116 when it is connected to the existing network?

c. Have you tried to change the ethernet cables?

d. Have you tried to reboot the FS116?

I look forward to your response. Kindly post a screenshot of your detailed network setup.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
Bret4312
Aspirant

Thank you Dane!

I will try to answer your questions below.

a. If the Cisco modem/router is directly connected to the FS116 then if you connect a PC directly to the FS116, are you able to get a valid IP address on the PC?

No I am not. That for sure is the problem.

b. What is the behavior of the LED lights of the FS116 when it connected to the existing network?

The lights on the FS116 ports are all blinking in unison. There is no change when I plug in the Cisco.

c. Have you tried to change the ethernet cables?

Did that, yes. Validated that the cables are working when I plugged my laptop directly into the Cisco. All was good.

d. Have you tried to reboot the FS116?

I did a power cycle. Is there some other reboot protocol?

I was hoping this would be just a plug and play exercise on the setup that had been working for years. So that's why I just used the port on FS116 in exactly the same way as before ie: cisco input into the port on the 116 that had been previously occupied by that from my old router.

Old set up was modem --> router --> FS116 ---> room-based ethernet cables(x14)

New set up up is Cisco modem/router ---> FS116 ---> etc. Should be a snap! It kills me that it won't work.

I have presently bypassed the FS116 just using select ethernet cables into the back of the Cisco for direct connection - it has four ports. All is good that way but then I lose option to plug into other rooms.

What is a typical shelf life of the FS116? Mine is probably close to 10 Yrs old bu tot seems unlikely it would die in the the 30 seconds between old plug / new plug.

A picture would be embarrassing. It is a bit of mess. Not the way I would do it for sure. Just never taken the time to redo it. Maybe I'll send one anyway. Just can't do that at the moment.

Again, many thanks for your kind assistance.

Message 3 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Bret4312,

@Bret4312 wrote:

b. What is the behavior of the LED lights of the FS116 when it is connected to the existing network?

The lights on the FS116 ports are all blinking in unison. There is no change when I plug in the Cisco.

Are all port LED lights blinking even when there is no device connected to the ethernet ports?  

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 9
Bret4312
Aspirant

Thanks Dane.

Good question but I'm not exactly sure the answer. I think they do continue to blink in the same fashion when the Cisco or the cable to the desktop upstairs or one to the laptop is plugged or unplugged.

Is that what you mean?
Message 5 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Bret4312,

@Bret4312 wrote:

Good question but I'm not exactly sure the answer. I think they do continue to blink in the same fashion when the Cisco or the cable to the desktop upstairs or one to the laptop is plugged or unplugged.

Is that what you mean?

If ever the port LED lights of the FS116 switch are still on and blinking even when there are no devices connected to its ports then the FS116 switch is faulty.  Kindly contact NETGEAR Support to verify if there is still hardware warranty left on the FS116 switch.  Be reminded that a proof of purchase or sales invoice of the FS116 switch might be asked from you for warranty verification.  If there is still hardware warranty left then you could ask for replacement.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 9
Bret4312
Aspirant

Thanks Dane - you're a good man. I will try my luck with Netgear support. Of course, I have no invoice.

Presuming these machines have a life and this is not uncommon, would you expect the simple act of an unplug/plug would kill the unit? It worked fine in the moments up to that act.

Thanks
Message 7 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Bret4312,

@Bret4312 wrote:

In the absence of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the FS116, alternatively you may provide the following:

1. An e-mail from the reseller for confirmation of sale.
2. Credit card statement showing the purchase of the device.

@Bret4312 wrote:

For me, a simple act of an unplug/plug should not cause the switch to be faulty.  Unless, there is really a problem or fault with the hardware itself or with the power adapter that is being used with the switch.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Comunity Team

Message 8 of 9
hozzanator
Aspirant

Dude, did you accidentally plug the PSU from the old router into the FS116 instead of the actual PSU for the FS116 - I did this once and the power rating for the wrong PSU let the switch light up but it wouldn't work!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements