× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear GS105 - not connecting multiple computers

mlokc
Initiate

Netgear GS105 - not connecting multiple computers

I have a wired gigabit ethernet connection to my home office. I bought a GS105 to connect multiple computers to that wired connection. It has been stable to my single computer previously. When I connect my primary computer to the GS105, everything is fine. I get a solid, gigabit internet connection. But when I try to add other computers to the switch, they show an ethernet connection, but not an internet connection, and cannot get an IP address via DHCP. The lights on the GS105 switch show a good connection to all machines. 

I've tried multiple reboots and switching cables from the wall to the router and between computers, but the result is the same. 

I have Google Fiber, and the Google modem is connected to an older GS108 switch. My Google Wifi mesh network runs through that GS108, and the cable to my office is also connected to it. This configuration has been stable for a long time. Attaching a network diagram for further clarity.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions on how to diagnose and fix this issue.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear GS105 - not connecting multiple computers

So go google fibre----->google mesh---->then your switches. 

Most ISP's only assign 1 public ip address or even 2 (rarer to have multiple public ip addresses). So it could be assigning 1 to the mesh and the 2nd to your computer. If they're only allowing 2, that'd cause your issues. Versus your mesh will take that public ip address and assign the devices on your network a private ip address. Plus its more secure as the mesh is using its firewall to help with network security. 

Message 2 of 4
mlokc
Initiate

Thank you! That seems to fix the problem. Very grateful to you. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad it fixed it!

You might mark it solved so others aren't still trying to fix it. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements