× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New GS308 swith won't give internet and assignes a weird ip. is this for internet or just network pc

3ny
Aspirant
Aspirant

New GS308 swith won't give internet and assignes a weird ip. is this for internet or just network pc

The porpused of the swith is give more ports to connect more divices to the internet right?

I connecteda new gs308 from working netgear wifi routher to swith then divices tothe swith and there is no internet, i cannot see the swith connected to the networ and the switch gives out a weird ip to the divice.

there is no labels on the ports of the swith so i gues i can use any port to connect to the switch (i tried the 1st port) 

I'm i connecting it wrogn?

my set up works fine without the switch.

i would appresiate the help thank you.

@l3ny

Model: GS308|8 ports gigabits unmanaged switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: New GS308 swith won't give internet and assignes a weird ip. is this for internet or just networ

@3ny,

It doesn't matter which port, any port will do. Have you tried connecting your PC to the cable that you were using going to the switch? Does the port lights up? Please try to replace the cable.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
3ny
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: New GS308 swith won't give internet and assignes a weird ip. is this for internet or just networ

New GS308 switch won't give internet and assigns a weird ip. is this for internet or just network pc
The proposed of the switch is give more ports to connect more devices to the internet right?
I connected a new gs308 from working netgear wifi router to switch then the device to the switch and there is no internet, i cannot see the switch connected to the network and the switch gives out a weird ip to the device.
There is no labels on the ports of the switch so i guess i can use any port to connect to the switch (i tried the 1st port)
I'm i connecting it wrong?
My set up works fine without the switch.

I would appreciate the help thank you.
@l3ny
Message 2 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi 3ny,

Welcome to the community!

GS308 switch is an unmanaged switch which is a plug and play device. No configuration needed for it to work. Please try to do the following:

- Connect a cable from the router going to the switch, make sure that the port do light up

- If it is not working, replace the switch with a computer and check if you are now going to receive an IP

- if it still not working, try to replace the cable and connect the computer, if it worked, then you may now connect the switch

Regards,

Message 3 of 5
3ny
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does it matter to which port do i connect the cable? i since the switch is not mark like the wifi routher wndr700.

I tried all the port and i cannot get a divice connected to that switch to the internet

Message 4 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@3ny,

It doesn't matter which port, any port will do. Have you tried connecting your PC to the cable that you were using going to the switch? Does the port lights up? Please try to replace the cable.

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements