× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Ethernet Connection after Connect with GS105 Switch

bsun003
Aspirant

No Ethernet Connection after Connect with GS105 Switch

Hi all,

I have some questions about our new bought GS105 switch. It is said that this model is a unmanaged switch so that I can plug into cables and make them communicate. However, when I connect my laptop to switch, there shows an Ethernet connection but when I click this connection, I can't connect it. Why does this happens? Is it my laptop OS problem or hardware problem or the switch problem? Thanks for helping meSmiley Happy

My goal:

I want to connect my laptop to two USRP to make them communicate. However, the USRP can only support GB Ethernet and my laptop only have 10/100 Ethernet. In order to make them communicate, we bought this GS105 switch and connected both USRP and laptop to switch (This method according to https://forums.ni.com/t5/USRP-Software-Radio/usrp-2920-can-t-connect-to-PC-WindosXP/td-p/1920379 ). If it successfully connect each other, I can run the command "uhd_find_devices" in Terminal and see the device information. However, I can't find any UHD device which means it has connection problem.

Methods I tried:

• Connected all the Ethernet cables and power cables for several times -- didn't work
  • Checked LED lights of switch -- correct (both lights on for USRP cable and left light on for my laptop)
  • Clicked on the icon of "Wired connection" in my laptop, all lights blink; however, after a while my laptop showed "disconnected"
  • Tried another ASUS RT-N16 -- worked

System info:

• Laptop Ethernet Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 07)
  • USRP Ethernet ports: Gb Ethernet
Model: GS105|5-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
bsun003
Aspirant

Re: No Ethernet Connection after Connect with GS105 Switch

Problem solved because the USRP default IP address is: 192.168.10.X. I can't make wired connection to automatic DHCP. I should manually set the IP address and also try to avoid IP address collision.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
bsun003
Aspirant

Re: No Ethernet Connection after Connect with GS105 Switch

Problem solved because the USRP default IP address is: 192.168.10.X. I can't make wired connection to automatic DHCP. I should manually set the IP address and also try to avoid IP address collision.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements