× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Number of Device Limitations

alrcsd
Aspirant

Number of Device Limitations

How many GS105v5 and/or GS108v2 can be stacked together?  I have 4 rooms with just one cat5 connection and multiple devices,  I want to "homerun" to single switch connected to DSL.  Do not want to use WiFi.  Thx!

Model: GS105v5|ProSAFE 5-port Gigabit Switch, GS108v2|Gigabit Switches
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Number of Device Limitations

Hi alrcsd,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Stacking is not supported on both GS105v5 and GS108 unmanaged switches.  I believe what you mean to say is to daisy chain or cascade the GS105v5 and GS108 unmanaged switches.  

As far as I know, there is no limit on the number of NETGEAR unmanaged switches that can be daisy chained or be cascaded together.  With the 4 rooms you have, I think approximately 2 to 3  unmanaged switches (either  GS105v5 or GS108) cascaded will do.  The length of the  ethernet cables you will use to connect the unmanaged switches should be less than 100 meters to avoid attenuation.

To know more about the GS105v5 and GS108v4 unmanaged switches, kindly access the data sheet here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi alrcsd,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Stacking is not supported on both GS105v5 and GS108 unmanaged switches.  I believe what you mean to say is to daisy chain or cascade the GS105v5 and GS108 unmanaged switches.  

As far as I know, there is no limit on the number of NETGEAR unmanaged switches that can be daisy chained or be cascaded together.  With the 4 rooms you have, I think approximately 2 to 3  unmanaged switches (either  GS105v5 or GS108) cascaded will do.  The length of the  ethernet cables you will use to connect the unmanaged switches should be less than 100 meters to avoid attenuation.

To know more about the GS105v5 and GS108v4 unmanaged switches, kindly access the data sheet here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
alrcsd
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response.  You are correct I was looking for "daisy chaining".

Message 3 of 5
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi  Alrcsd,

As DaneA commented it's no limit in the number of switches that you can daisy chain.

However as a best practice I would suggest that you don't have more than 2-3 switches daisy chainned, main reason is that each swtich that you daisy chain will add latency on the network and will introduce a new point of failure.  Moreover you have to take in consideration that using a higher port count switch will always improve the performance as the bandwith limit will be the backplane ( GS105 got 10Gbps , GS108 got 16 Gbps) instead that the uplink port (GS105 1Gbps , GS108 1Gbps) in a daisy chain configuration

Hope that it helps in your design

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi alrcsd,

You're welcome! 🙂 

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements