× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Prosafe utility cannot find GS 116 and config utility does nothing.

Paulkruger
Aspirant

Prosafe utility cannot find GS 116 and config utility does nothing.

Good day.

I have a ProSafe Gigabit GS-116 V2 switch. It seems to be working fine however I have a NAS attached that is so slow I could walk to Alaska before files transfer. Connect speed terrible.

In the Buffalo forums it was suggested to check the network switch to be sure it was configured correctly.  I have never even used the utilities as the switch has always worked out of the box with no problem.   I am not claiming the switch is at fault but what does seem to be switch related is the failure of the Netgear utilties to work.

The windows discovery too cannot find the switch.

The ProSafe configuration utility when started appears in task manager but there is nothing at all on the desktop to do anything.

With the config utility running this is what is active in processes:

• NetGearServer.exe
    NsdpClient.exe
    NsdpManager.exe
    ProSAFE Plus Utility.exe

But nothing is doing anything at all?

Windows 7 Pro. All connected devices using static IP and not going through router, just direct connection to switch.

Any ideas welcome!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

The GS-116v2 is an unmanaged switch - so perfectly fine that it can't be discovered or managed.

Must be cabling, link negotiation, potentially a network loop (any Sonos is the game probably?) whatever.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The GS-116v2 is an unmanaged switch - so perfectly fine that it can't be discovered or managed.

Must be cabling, link negotiation, potentially a network loop (any Sonos is the game probably?) whatever.

Message 2 of 3
Paulkruger
Aspirant

No games just PC's via switch. I guess I will just delete all that crap!  LOL this site did not return anything other than than when I searched on GS-116 and it was not that clear if it applied to my specific device or not.

Not sure how to determine what network loop might be?  I did just order a pack of new Cat6E patch cables to replace the Cat5 I have though I've never seen a problem with Cat5 using short patch cables no more than 5 ft long.  Cheap enough why not !

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements